21

i'm really sorry i'm not that active anymore 😅

Third person

"Ohayo gozaimasu, Mitsuka-san," Cosette said quietly, entering the kitchen.

Turning, the said mother blinked in surprise. "C-Cosette?! Heavens, what are you doing up so early? And all dressed already? I was just making breakfast!"

"Sorry about that, I... have extra credit for Kanji writing with Akiyama-sensei. It's some last-minute work for a chance at improving my grades."

"I see."

Footsteps resounded, and before the two could react, a voice spoke out.

"Eh... really?"

Cosette stiffened, instantly recognizing the voice, and fought the urge to blush as she slowly turned around.

"You could've woken me up earlier so I could go with you. I have volleyball practice a little later this morning, anyway," Yaku yawned, rubbing his eyes.

The two made eye-contact for a split second before Cosette hurriedly turned her head away, the events of last night forming clearly in her head.

I can't believe he can act like nothing happened.

"I thought you'd want to sleep more," she muttered, her gaze fixed on the ground.

But this is... way more awkward than I expected it would be...

Sensing a change in the atmosphete, Mitsuka cleared her throat and handed Cosette two slices of French toast. "Here, now, Cosette, eat these on the way. Usually, I wouldn't be making something as simple as these for breakfast, but I'll make today an exception for you."

"O-oh. Thank you," Cosette looked up and smiled a little, placing the ziplock inside her book bag. "Then... I'll be going."

"Take care, dear," Mitsuka smiled back. "Morisuke, go and wake up Haru-chan, alright? Since you two are already awake, might as well wake her up, too."

"Hai," the libero said, forcing himself to be a little more awake. "Cosette, I'll walk you to the door."

"...you don't need to," Cosette muttered, her grip on the strap of her bag tightening as they walked out the kitchen.

He hummed in response, only giving her a small smile as he opened the door.

Cosette stepped out of the door, the morning breeze lightly greeting her face.

"Hey, Cosette, I---" Yaku began, but he was cut off.

"I-I'll see you in school," she said quietly, giving him as much as a small sideway glance before heading out and lightly closing the door behind her.

I don't think I can face him properly... not like this.

◈◈◈

The bell rang, and the students filed out of the classroom, their chattter filling Cosette's ears.

I still haven't directly spoken to Naomi today... she came late to class, and she seemed to have left in a hurry...

But how can I speak to her if I got the chance? Knowing that I---

"Hey," a voice called, and Cosette blinked, seeing a hand waving in front of her face. "...you were spacing out. Everyone else left."

"Oh. Yeah. They did," she mumbled, looking up. "Why did you wait for me?"

Kenma shrugged, almost nonchalantly. "Why wouldn't I?"