Chapter 1: New Drummer

Chapter One: New Drummer

"Did you hear about the new kid?" My brother asked as he plopped down on the edge of my bed.  His blonde hair poked out from beneath his beanie, and his eyes rested on the book in my lap, and back up to my eyes.  "I've heard enough." I closed the book and sat it down beside me.  "Why?"

He lifted his shoulders, shrugging. "Just wondering.  It seems mom and dad know a lot about him.  That's all they're talking about."

My eyebrows perked a little.  "Why?  He's just a transfer."

Ash shook his head.  "He was kicked out of his last school."

                "Do I even want to know?"

                "A lot of people want to know.  But no one does."

How could no one know?  Doesn't that just raise more suspicion?  "I don't plan on talking to the guy long enough to ask."

Ash smirked, and tapped his knuckles against my cheek.  "Of course you wouldn't."

                       "What's that supposed to mean?"

                "Yeah, like little Miss Willow will be seen talking to someone who was kicked out of school.  What a laugh."

I let out an annoyed sigh, and crossed my arms across my chest.  "Did you come in here just to make fun of me?"

                       "Actually, no.  Dinner is ready."

                I climbed off of my bed, and followed Ash down the stairs, and sat down at the kitchen table.  We ate in silence, trying to find something to talk about.  "School starts tomorrow.  Are you excited?"

I smiled, "I am pretty excited."

                     "Of course you are, dork." Ash muttered, and sent me a sly grin.

I took a pea from my plate, and chucked it at him when my parents weren't looking.  "We're lucky Ashton made it to his senior year." My dad droned. 

Ash rolled his eyes, "Why would I worry about school, when I'm going to be famous one day?"

My mom snorted, "Your band is missing something, yes?"

Ash glared, "Obviously.  Everyone that has auditioned sucks."

                "Maybe it's time to put that little dream to rest." My dad commented.

I just sat there uncomfortable, listening to them bicker about Ash's band, and how he needs to raise his grades so he can graduate and go to college.  His band, Pathways, is actually pretty good.  Despite the fact they don't have a drummer.  I've seen a few of their practices when they came here, but other than that, I don't see much of my brother’s friends.  Well, except for the occasional party he throws when our parents aren't home.  And even then I lock myself in my room, and put my headphones in.

                Ash is the lead guitarist of the band.  Then there's Max on vocals, Nick's the second guitarist, and Rai plays bass.  They're all going to be seniors, and I'll be a junior.  I couldn't wait to be done with high school.  That's why I'm so excited for school.  The closer I get, the less time I have.  The thought of moving out, and starting college, and just being on my own, excited me.

                After dinner, I helped clean up and went up to my room to get ready for bed.  I laid out my clothes for tomorrow, feeling a small pang of nervousness hit my stomach.  I had everything I needed, so I should be fine.  I had my schedule already, and my map.  I didn't need the map, because I knew the school like the back of my hand.  But I know I'll just tense up, and forget everything.  Just like a test I wasn't prepared to fail.