Chapter 21: A Plan

Start from the beginning

"My family's been in hiding since Will knows that we helped Julia a long while back, but my mom says Will isn't looking for us. He wants his box of powers," she informs me as we go.

I simply nod and follow, gazing at the ruined buildings as we practically run through the streets.

Julia's storm really did a number on this place; the city looks like a complete wreck. Many of the buildings are toppled with stray bricks everywhere, and the ground splits open in some spots. I can practically still smell the electricity in the air from the lightning she brought with her rage.

"This way," Genevieve whispers, taking a swift turn down an alley where a few small structures still manage to stand.

She stops at one of these structures with a gaping hole in the side, stepping in and pulling me with her.

The building must have once been a tool shop, but it's been long since abandoned. The roof is gone, and the wall on the other side by the door is collapsed.

Genevieve leads me to the back of the structure to a small door behind overturned shelves of tools. She opens it to reveal a small flight of stairs leading underground.

"After you," she tells me, gesturing downwards.

I peer down at the dark staircase, a seed of doubt beginning to grow. What if it's a trap? Maybe I should just go back to the Dome....

With an annoyed huff, Genevieve just pushes past me and disappears down the stairs herself, making a point to bump into my shoulder to convey her irritation.

I swallow my second thoughts and eventually follow her down the stairs, but I will my skin to be as tough as marble just in case it is a trap.

When I make it down the stairs, however, I suddenly feel my body go back to normal against its own will. I feel like my insides have been thrown completely off balance, and I lean against the wall for support. Confused, I try to use my power again, but to no avail.

"What the hell..." I mumble, looking up quickly to see who's doing this.

An entire family is staring at me a few feet away, looking as though they haven't seen another person in ages. One of them, likely one of Genevieve's sisters, is holding a hand out in my direction with her palm facing towards me while an eerie feeling emits from them.

"Victoria, let the poor boy have his power back. He's a good one, I've seen it," The mother tells her daughter, and suddenly my system rebalances and I have control over my power again.

"My apologies for that, dear boy, come and sit with us," the mother says, coming over to me and putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Evelyn?" I take a guess.

"Smart one, you are," she says cheerfully, gesturing for me to sit in an old chair. Warily, I do sit, although the decrepit thing looks like it could collapse at any moment.

"Evelyn, he knows Adam and Cassia, I can see the strings attached between them," a man says behind Evelyn, one whom I deduce to be her husband, Caleb.

"How do you know I'm friends with them?" I ask Caleb.

"Power of connection, my young friend. I look at someone and see all the things that tie into their life represented by little golden strings. The string that connects you and Cassia seems to be very bright, but I'll not push that now. There are other things to discuss," Caleb tells me, and I feel heat rush to my cheeks at his mention of Cassia.