SEVENTEEN || DISTRACTED

Start from the beginning

I fold my hands together on top of my desk, my face stern. "No."

"You didn't even know what I was going to say!" Grayson exclaims, laughing a bit.

I look at him with hard eyes, not at any point about to budge on my decision. "She's not coming. She is staying away from the hawks. If she is seen in leopard form with us wolves, all hell will break loose."

Grayson winks in my direction, clasping his hands together. "You got it, boss."

"Who's going to keep an eye on Amethyst then?" Derek inquires.

I sigh, standing up from my seat. "I guess we will have to trust her."

"She tried to escape once, you know," He presses on, folding his arms across his chest.

I step towards him with a warning glare. "That was a while ago, Derek. She has changed."

"How do you know she won't run off again and run into someone she shouldn't? You and I both know Liam knew she was clueless. He will be back for her and someone needs to be here to protect her," He explains.

"Someone as in you?" I sneer, tension bubbling in my bones. I hope Derek doesn't feel obligated to care for Amethyst; that's my job whether I'm present or not.

He doesn't know what Amethyst and I have gone through, not even the slightest clue. And to be completely honest with myself, I don't want him to.

He shakes his head. "No, I think Grayson is the better choice."

An amused smirk rises to my lips and we turn our heads to look at Grayson, his eyes wide and mouth open in surprise.

He lifts his hands in defeat, shrugging his shoulders. "Hey, Amethyst is cool. I'll make sure she doesn't do anything illegal."

I walk over to Grayson and lay a hand on his shoulder, squeezing gently. "Keep her safe. Please."

He nods, smiling in understanding. "Don't worry. You have my word."

"If anything happens, don't come for me. I don't want you to leave her side. Understand?"

If she's willing to make this work, whatever we are, she has to abide by the rules. There is no other way to ensure her safety.

"Yeah, I understand," He replies lowly, taking in all of my commands.

With that I let Grayson go and start to walk out of the study with Derek, ready to get some alpha business done and out of the way.

///

The woods are slightly warm with early afternoon air, the sun partly veiled by clouds. Leaves crunch under my paws, the ground damp and soft. Snow is coming soon. I can feel it.

Six wolves follow Derek and I between the trees, sniffing and searching out any suspicious activity. The next area for surveying the territory lines is not too far away.

We should start at the edge of the clearing up ahead, I tell everyone.

Growls of approval erupt from the group and we continue onward, stepping into the break between the trees.