3. 'Homeless'

Chapter 3

| Melody Hill |

That feeling of wanting to sleep returned after my shower, but it disappeared almost as soon as it came when I heard the floor above creaking.

The hushed voices, the loud bell that indicated that it was that time again.

"Not again," I grumbled as I threw the warm blankets off of me.

I climb out of bed as quickl as I could, smoothen the creases out of my pyjamas and leave the small room after putting on a bra first. Because seriously, who would go to a living room, which has been filled with countless men and women, without putting on a bra first?

The hushed noises grew louder in the previously silent hallways, and the loud footsteps are resonating throughout the house.

I open up the wooden door, and quickly merge with the stream of Wolves that were piling into the hallway - some of them just as nervous as I was for the gathering of the night.

We walk towards the stairs, which lead to the Eliminanda Cubiculum.

The Elimination Room.

Once a month, all Rogues who live here, are gathered in the room by Maximo, the owner of this house. He was also some kind of Leader to all the Wolves here.

And because of the Tavern being his, he gets to decide who was welcome to come and live here.

Maximo was known for his strictness, which means that he always sticks to his Rule; the rule that says that once a month, one Rogue gets eliminated - which frees up a room in the Tavern. Due to this Rule, another Rogue gets the chance to get a safe place to stay for at least one month.

But the way a Rogue gets eliminated from the Tavern, is unfortunately decided with much less structure. The group of Rogues are to vote anonimously for one Rogue, that they find undeserving of a place to stay. Once everyone has voted, the votes get counted - and voilà, you have your answer of which Rogue gets to leave the Tavern.

It's hard, but most of the time, the Rogue who has been here the longest, gets voted out. Something that gave me a light spark of hope, seeing as I had only resided here for two months.

"I welcome all of you," Maximo starts out with a loud voice, and immediately, everyone falls into a silence.

"I apologize, for ruining your night's rest, but we have a Newbie. This means, that one of you has to leave the Tavern immediately."

A few sounds of protests sound softly throughout the horrid room, "Immediately? It's the middle of the night, damn it!" an older woman called.

Her blonde hair was tied into a messy bun, and the bags under her eyes were a sporting a deep black color. Her small hands were balled into fists, but in such a manner, that Maximo couldn't see it.

"Immediately. Rules, are rules," Maximo simply answered, as he gazed around with a stern look in his eyes. Everyone averted their eyes to the ground - no one ever dared to look Maximo in his eyes.

Disrespectful, it what he would call it. Only people of the same rank as his were allowed to do so, and since Maximo considered himself to be some kind of Alpha, only his pregnant mate Saskie was allowed to do so.

"This, is Elvie," Maximo continued after a few moments of silence.

A sturdy girl, of about twenty-four years, emerged from behind Maximo. She glanced around with a friendly look in her eyes, something that only earned her hostile looks from the rest.

"Elvie will take someone's place in the Tavern tonight. You have all voted, and I have the name of the Rogue which will have to leave immediately, right here in my hand."

While Maximo opened up the envelope with the name of the unlucky person, a few soft voices sounded once again, stating that it was ridiculous to send someone away in the middle of the night.

I stared at Maximo intently, and my heart started beating in another rhythm.

"Melody Merial Hill."

Upon hearing those words, everyone immediately turned to look at me, and I quickly averted my eyes.

My cheeks were coloring red, not wanting the attention everyone was giving me right now.

"But she has been only here for two months?" I heard one of the younger Rogues ask another on a hushed tone.

"She was the one who woke up the entire house by screaming in the middle of the night, this doesn't surprise me at all," another one replied, also on a hushed tone.

I heard countless of other remarks of the same nature, while I fled to my room. I had to pack my bags quickly, since Maximo always wished for someone to leave the Tavern within fifteen minutes.

Within four minutes, I managed to fill my bag with a few sets of underwear, sweatshirts and two pairs of pants.

"Hill, you have ten minutes left," Maximo's voice sounded throughout the house.

I sighed, hoisted the bag onto my back, and tiptoed off the stairs - not wanting to wake up the other Wolves again from my loud footsteps on the stairs.

To be honest, I was planning to leave on my own terms soon enough. I had a whole trip ahead of me - even though I had put that on hold due to the loss and sadness I felt.

Once downstairs, I passed Maximo, who had his arm wrapped around Saskie's waist, her eyes filled with love and adoration.

"Goodbye, Melody," Saskie smiled as she pulled me into a hug.

Startled by the sudden contact, I winced. Saskie immediately let go of me, a guiltridden look in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Melody, I-I got carried away," she said softly, giving me a look that asked for forgiveness.

I just shrugged it off, and smiled to both her and Maximo, as a sign that it didn't matter to me.

Saskie's face immediately cheered up, and she gave me one last smile before Maximo released her, so he could walk me to the front door.

"I'm sorry, Hill," he started on a soft tone as soon as he saw that no one else was around, "I was hoping that the other Wolves hadn't noticed."

I just nodded, not able to speak. Fortunately, Maximo and Saskie didn't know any better, since I didn't say a word for the past two months I had spent here.

Same was for physical contact.

"I hope to see you again - even though that would be in six months time. Because rules, are rules," Maximo mumbled. Again, I nodded - if I ever wanted to return to the Tavern, I had to wait for six months.

"Well, goodbye then. And Hill, -stay strong!"

I gave Maximo one last smile, and went out the door. With regular strides I walked away from the Tavern, towards the dimly lit woods.

"Hill!" Maximo yelled when I had almost reached the limit of his 'territory'. I turned around, and saw Maximo stand in the doorway, with Saskie standing right next to him with his arm wrapped around her waist once again.

Saskie raised her hand and waved, "Goodbye Melody, I hope to see you soon again!"

I waved back for the last time, before definitely turning my back towards the Tavern. My pace sped up, and before I knew it, I was walking on the side of a deserted road, towards the dark mountains.