Chapter 1

Emma was walking down the road. She was a few streets away from her apartment building. She heard the thunder getting closer. A blue SUV has been trying to keep its distance from her, trying not to make its presence known. The car speeds up so it is rolling down the road as she tries to pick up her pace, although she knows that even if she runs, this person can catch up to her and follow her. The passenger side window rolls down and she tries to pretend that she doesn't see the handsome guy in the driver's seat.

"Hey, lass! Do you need a ride?" He asked politely.

She looked into the car and her breath caught in her throat. She has seen many guys, but none were as handsome as him. She stopped walking and looked up at the sky, just in time for it to start raining. She looked back at the guy in the car and he was already leaning over to open the door for her. She stepped in and took a seat, fastening her safety belt before he sped off.

"You should be careful. A woman like you walking around in that part of town isn't safe." He said keeping his eyes on the road.

She looked down at the now wet seat. "Sorry about getting your car all wet." She said ignoring his statement.

"It's just a little bit of water. It won't hurt anything."

She takes this time now to truly listen to him and look at him. Stunning blue eyes, dark jet black hair, matching scruff, and a scar on his cheek. She lets out a small laugh. "No, I guess it won't."

He put out his right hand while keeping the left hand on the steering wheel. His eyes locked on the road as he said, "Killian Jones."

She took his hand and shook it. "Emma Swan." She was never going to see this stranger again, so why should she have to worry about telling him her last name?

"Nice to meet you, Emma."

"And you Killian."

"So, what has you traveling the streets of Boston?" He asked.

"Well, my boyfriend has our car today so he couldn't drive me to the store." She wasn't going to tell this complete stranger the truth about her relationship with Walsh. About how he didn't let her have the car to go to the damn drugstore. She wasn't going to ask this stranger for help to get out of the abusive relationship. She subconsciously tugged the sleeve of her red leather jacket down in hopes of hiding the bruises that weren't even showing to begin with.

"Well I guess it is good that you took a walk. Seeing about this traffic jam, I don't think that we will be going anywhere any time soon." He noticed her fidgeting in her seat. He watched from the corner of his eye as she pulled her sleeve down. He knew what she was hiding. In fact, he had been watching her for weeks. He knew that her boyfriend beat her. He knew that the reason she didn't have her vehicle wasn't because the guy was using the car. Killian knew that Walsh was afraid of her running away if she got to the car. He knew that Walsh said how much he loved her, but there wasn't any love. None at all. "He couldn't go and pick up what you needed?" Killian asked changing the subject.

She shook her head. "It's just some medicine but he is embarrassed to go to the store to get it."

"Sounds like a real charmer." He said as he rolled his eyes. He moved his hand to the lock button that would lock all the doors and pressed the button. Four clicks and he knew he was in the clear. "What does your boyfriend do?"

"He fixes and sells furniture."

"Sounds like a lovely career."

"Yea, if you want to constantly smell like furniture polish." She said in an annoyed tone. Her phone rang in her pocket and she quickly dug it out of her pocket. "I'm sorry, but I have to answer this."

He waved his hand dismissing it. "It's not a problem."

"Hi honey!" Emma said with fake enthusiasm in her voice.

Killian could hear Walsh's loud screaming through the phone. "Where are you? You were supposed to be home fifteen minutes ago. Don't forget, Emma, I can easily find you and track you down."

Her heart sped up in her chest. "It started raining and someone offered me a ride home, but we are stuck in a traffic jam."

"Accepting rides from strangers? I guess I have to teach you something about getting into cars with people you don't know. You were never taught that because no one cared, did they?"

She looked down at her hands. "No." She whispered.

"Well I do. That's why I have to punish you when you get home. Nothing will stick in your mind if you aren't shown the consequences when you do something bad."

Killian heard how her breath caught in her throat. He wished that the damn cars in front of him would move already.

"I understand." She said.

"Good. Now, I want you to get out of the lady's car, and I want you to walk home. Now."

"But it's pouring down rain!"

"I don't care if there is a hurricane. Get out of the damn woman's car and walk your ass back here!"

Killian snatched the phone from her and her head shot up. He saw the tears in her eyes. He saw how scared she was. "No, please. You have to give that back to me." She said.

He put the phone up to his ear. "Oi! I am not a woman!"

"Put her back on the phone." Walsh said, not even paying attention that the person he just spoke to was a man, not a woman.

Emma ripped the phone away from Killian. "I'm sorry." She said, but she didn't know who she was apologizing to.

"Your apologies are useless, bitch. You don't get out of it that easily. I want you to walk home, now!" Walsh yelled angrily.

She sniffled. "Okay. Bye." She hung up and grabbed the plastic bag. "Thank you for your help, Killian."

He double checked to see if the doors were still locked, and they were. The cars started moving again and he took a turn down an abandoned road. "You're welcome, but I should be the one thanking you."

She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "What?"

"I have been watching you for about two months now. I know about the situation that you are in." He grabbed her arm and yanked her sleeve up, revealing the hand print shaped bruise. "I know what he does to you." He reached up to her cheek and softly caressed her skin. She was too afraid to move. She knew how this would end. She just didn't know where. He pulled out a rag that had a chemical on it that would make her go to sleep. He pressed it to her mouth and nose and held her in place as she breathed the substance in. "Say goodnight, Swan."