Chapter 03| Stained with Issues

Start from the beginning

"Like you know any better. Your department will be the first one gone. If I were you I would start packing up my things before going through the embarrassing process of being fired in front of your gal friend here," the guy snickered.

"Johnny you know deep inside you would be the first to go. So stop trying to use them as scapegoats. Face the problem and help solve it. Do not be part of the issue." Greg said in a fierce tone.

Johnny did not mention pink slips after that. I gave Greg a pat and took his words into consideration. I will be taking notes when I get home...

--
After a stressing and long day of work, I was finally out. Alexa tagged along as I drove us to Olivia's dance class. A dance academy that held many types of dance classes with large studios; ballet was Olivia's favorite.

"I forget that Olivia dances. How is she doing anyway?" Alexa asked, smiling away as she changed the radio station.

"Improving every year," I replied with glee.

"Damn, she has been dancing for seven years now?" Alexa asked.

"Five, remember she stopped dancing for two years," I replied thickly.

Alexa remained silent after. She and I both knew why Olivia stopped dancing between those two years. My divorce has affected everyone, I tried my best to deflect the pain my children felt during those dark times. But now that I think of it, the hardest part was the life before my marriage went out of control. The beginning of a broken marriage that I desperately wanted to piece back together. It had to end someway, I just wish that it ended differently.

A way that avoided giving pain to my children.

We arrived at Alaine's Dance Academy, the best dance classes around the area. I found a parking spot and turned off the ignition of the car. I unbuckled myself and grabbed my purse and phone before stepping out of the car. I waited for Alexa before locking the car and walking side by side to the entrance of the building.

It was unusually busy today as the lobby was filled with loud parents. A line was forming from the front desk to the entrance.

"What's happening?" Alexa asked, amazed at the large line.

I shrugged because I did not know myself. I walked over to the line where a mother who was holding a little boy's hand stood. He looked up with a toothy smile. I gently tapped her shoulder to get her attention. She looked over her shoulder with a scowl.

"Excuse me, ma'am, I saw the line and want to know what is happening," I explained.

She sighed, "The monthly payment has been moved to today. They called letting us know yesterday."

"Thank you." I pushed past the people surrounding us as Alexa and I made our way upstairs to the second floor.

"Did you pay the monthly fee?" Alexa asked as she looked back over her shoulder.

"I pay full price for a year. They're very friendly and do refunds in case of an emergency." The type of emergency where Olivia stopped dancing out of the blue.

Keeping those thoughts out of my mind, Alexa and I walked past the jazz room and into the ballet room. Mellow music was playing as we walked into the parent waiting room which had a clear view of the studio. I took front row seat as I watch Olivia practice her twirls one on one with the most experienced instructors they have in the studio. Miss Alaine herself. Alaine is a seventy-seven-year-old woman who is retired in the art of ballet and is now an owner of the Academy. As I watch her with Olivia, I feel at ease knowing that she is being taught by a former ballerina. A profession I know Olivia is interested in.

Olivia's legs seem shaken up as Alaine demonstrates this double turn that evolves into a leap with one leg out. From what I can see, Olivia is getting frustrated with herself. Something usual that happens whenever she is learning a new move that she wants to get right away.

"Olivia turns pink when she's mad, right?" Alexa asks, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Yes, and she knows she is not supposed to get mad during a lecture. Her anger tends to throw her off which usually results--" Olivia slips and lands on the floor. Alaine helps her up and comforts her before Olivia walks to the other side of the studio where another instructor is teaching five girls how to jump. Alaine calls over Michelle, Olivia's best friend who together joined this class.

My phone vibrates, my children's babysitter's name pops up. I stood up quickly and walked out the room to take the call. "Hello?" I could hear some ruckus from the other line.

"Abigail, I was wondering what time would you be coming back from work? I really need to talk to you about something important." My babysitter Chelsea explains with such urgency. Her tone is making me believe that an accident had happened and hearing the shouting from the background seems to conclude that.

"Why do I hear shouting? Chelsea, what's happening?" I asked. I could hear her talking in the background, it seemed she was trying to calm down my twins.

"Shut up already! Fuck, you're so annoying," That is all I needed to hear before ending the call. I went back inside to grab my bag.

I looked for Olivia and saw her laughing with two of her dance mates. The class is not over yet and I know she likes being here for the whole time. I look at Alexa who's on her phone texting, the confrontation would only take about thirty minutes or less...

I look over at Olivia, I walk to the front of the glass and gently tap on it. Olivia's expression changed as she sees me gesturing her over to the door. She nods as she walks over to her instructor, letting her know that she has to leave early.

"What happened? Why are we leaving early?" Alexa asked as she stood beside me.

"The babysitter, Chelsea, told someone to shut up and that they're annoying. I have a feeling it is Lucas who she directed the insult to." I stated angrily.

"Wow, yeah this is an emergency that needs to be settled with. Has she ever done this before?" She asked, trying to make sense of the situation.

"Not that I know of."

Olivia comes out with her duffle bag, she has a frown on her face as she hands me the bag. "I know Liv, I'm sorry," I mumble against her forehead as I leaned into a kiss.

"You promised me that it would be the last time we leave early. I'm so behind now and have to dance with the younger group." She sighed heavily, feeling defeated.

As we walk down the stairs to the exit, I can see the line of parents increasing. We squeeze our way out and I practically run to the car with Alexa and Olivia running behind. I unlock the car, opening the passenger door and throwing my bag as well as Olivia's over my seat. I start the ignition as I buckle up and wait for everyone else to get seated.

Alexa being the last one in, I scan the lot to see if there are any cars behind me. Through the rearview window, I can see Olivia pouting. I'll need to make it up for here when this mess with Chelsea is cleared up. I pull out of the parking lot and try my best to ignore the heavy feeling in my gut.