Prologue

Whoo, this is what I get for being influenced by a marathon of VC Andrews stuff. Eek! Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys and that people will take the time to review! Much thanks!

Warning: Brief child abuse scene.

At three, he didn't understand why he was shoved onto the doorstep of the huge house on a cold night in winter. The red-haired woman with sad red eyes told him to stay there and used the doorbell, before she walked away and disappeared quickly from sight.

The door opened and his life changed forever.

The first thing he saw as the door opened was the beautiful woman with cold green eyes and the golden spun of silk hair.

"Who are you?" her voice was like ice.

His tiny hands held out the folded up letter that she delicately grabbed and unfolded, reading rapidly. A sneer spread around her painted lips, and she glared down condescendingly at him. But she stepped back and indicated he come in, and he did his best to hurry up, even with his short legs.

The door closed ominously behind him.

Once inside the grand house, she led him all the way to a private study, where a man sat behind a desk and was reading something indifferently.

"A child, Roman? Really?" the woman directed towards the man with a sneering tone. "You never told me you had a red-headed little brat with someone else."

Roman looked up finally, first looking with narrowed eyes towards the woman before his gray eyes landed on him.

"Quiet, Bel," he ordered, still staring at him. "You, child. What is your name?"

He stayed quiet, though he pointed towards the letter still in the woman's hand.

"Malcolm. His name is Malcolm."

She said it in such disdain, that he cringed in on himself.

~*~*~

Mal is what they called him. It was short for Malcolm, but Mal had learned from Belinda, his 'mother,' that it meant 'bad' in Latin.

He was a bad child, she said. He was bad.

Mal didn't understand how or why, but he strove to be a good boy. He didn't want to be bad.

But she said he was. And bad children shouldn't be seen.

She put him in the basement, which she said was to be his new room. A plain bed was put in there, though it had already been set to be used as an extra room, with even a small bathroom in place.

The basement was large, so he didn't feel crowded. He was just a small child anyway, so it was even larger to him.

But it was cold and had no heater in there. Belinda had given him only a thin blanket and some pillows, and he did his best to huddle a makeshift pile of them together to keep warm, especially at night.

As for food, she would bring in a box of food at the beginning of every week (well, he guessed so), and he would have to deal with what he received until the next delivery.

Since he'd been brought there though, he hadn't seen anyone else other than Belinda, not even Roman.

But one day, he came down quietly and stared at Mal with an odd look in his eyes. Then he was pursing his lips and took a chair at the table that had already been in the basement before Mal came.