chapter two// fuck you

Mitch pressed his lips against his son's cheek, waving a goodbye, "I'll see you in a few hours, baby. Be good to the babysitter and we can go get ice cream after I'm back, okay?"

"Okay, daddy! I like Kristie!" he giggled, making his father chuckle at the mispronunciation of their babysitter's name.

With another wave to Kirstie, the woman watching over Brady, he left. His suit was tight, choking him with every movement. Scott demanded they met in court for the custody of their son, as there actually hadn't been a legal meeting deciding who Brady lived with. Due to the divorce and Scott's persistent wishes that he didn't want a son, Mitch took him.

That's what was making the father so unbelievably angry. Scott had been screaming at him that he wasn't ready to be a dad and he didn't want to be a dad. Now, just as Mitch got his life together, he decided that he was ready?

Bullshit.

Utter.

Bullshit.

The ride in the car was full of angst, the only sound other than Mitch's heavy breathing being the radio blasting Ceelo Green's Fuck You. He sighed for the millionth time in the past forty-eight hours, staring at the road ahead of him. His heart seemed to speed up with every second he spent in the car, anticipation on what would happen in the court room growing.

What was going to happen if Scott ended up getting full custody over Brady?

Mitch would kill himself if he wasn't allowed to see his baby boy grow up, give him advice on how to avoid hateful people.

His breathing began to falter, tears gathering into his brown eyes. His heart was no longer simply pacing quickly, it was slamming in his chest. Mitch whimpered, the thought of being separated from his own child was ripping him apart.

No.

Scott would not be taking that child.

But what if-

He couldn't let himself think that way.

There's always a possibility-

Brady was his.

You two could always-

Scott needed to realize that this was his and only his son.

You two could get back together, for the sake of Brady. Even if you're absolutely miserable, you'll man up when you see that he will be a lot happier with two parents rather than one. You two can cheat on each other if you can't be a good fucking person for ten seconds.

Mitch screamed as he parked, slamming the car door shut and began to shake. He trembled against the vehicle, wishing his own thoughts would just disappear. He couldn't be with Scott after what he had done, he just couldn't.

After collecting his bearings, he managed to enter the court. Scott stood with his lawyer, a sneer placed on his face. Mitch shrunk back in the presence of his ex-husband, missing the worry that flashed in Scott's eyes.

---

"Then it is settled. Mr. Hoying takes full custody of Brady James Grassi."

It was done, settled.

Scott took everything because Mitch couldn't defend himself. He was sobbing for half the time, pitifully whimpering for the rest. His lawyer had tried to calm him down, bring up points of Scott refusing to be a father to Brady up until this point.

The judge had make the sentence that decided their fate, however.

"Mitchell Grassi unrightfully took custody of Brady James Grassi without a court hearing on the matter after his divorce. After the behavior we saw today, he is unfit to be a parent. Child Services will be collecting the child tomorrow to give him to Scott Hoying."

Mitch lost.

He didn't just lose Brady, he lost his son. He lost the child he carried in his body for nine months. He lost the only person who accepted every aspect about him.

His lawyer was apologizing to Mitch, who just shook his head. He didn't speak a word to Scott, who was hugging his own lawyer.

Then, it hit him. He couldn't put up the strong man facade anymore.

Brady wasn't his anymore.

Mitch screamed, tugging at his hair and letting the tears come again. His son was gone.

"You took my son!" he turned on his heels, yelling in Scott's direction.

"You took him first, asshole," Scott smirked, "but he's mine now."

"You didn't want him! You said you wanted me to get an abortion! You wanted our son dead! Now you take the only person I love away from me?" he choked down another sob, "why? Why can't you let me keep my baby? He's my son... My everything!"

Scott didn't say a word, his stomach churning with mixed emotions.

"Just take care of him? Please? Don't let my baby get hurt? Tell him you love him everyday?" Mitch let out another whimper, arms being grabbed by security guards, "please?"

Mitch was practically dragged away, leaving the entire room in silence.

Aside from Mitch's distant sobs.

Scott's mouth hung open, heart tearing at the seams. Everything his ex-husband said was true, he did want an abortion. He wanted to get rid of the child so that he didn't have to deal with it.

So why was he asking for the child now?

Because he was sick and tired of Mitch having more in the relationship than him.

There wasn't a valid reason, it was simply that he wasn't satisfied in what he got out of the divorce. He wanted to make Mitch's life absolutely miserable.

But was this worth it?

Was taking away Mitch's child worth it?

What was he getting out of it, aside from a child who would probably be crying every night because he wants his daddy. The daddy who loves him, who always wanted him.

"Oh god, oh god," Scott's heart sped up. Yes, he was getting Brady, but Brady didn't want him. He'd never met him!

"Mr. Hoying..." even the judge looked uneasy, but it was replaced with a serious expression very quickly, "be at Mr. Grassi's house by one in the afternoon tomorrow."

"O-okay."