Chapter 22

Chapter 22

A beam of light shone through the window for a split second and Mitch paused just as he had my panties down an inch. 

“Dammit,” he growled, and got up off of me.

I was shaking so much in relief that I didn’t even make a move to sit up as Mitch went over to the window.

“Don’t you dare move,” he said, reaching behind him to get his gun. 

He walked over toward the door and opened it.  Before I could even blink, he was out and I could hear his footsteps going down the hallway. 

Yeah, he said don’t move.  But who in their right mind would listen to that when they’d been kidnapped, drugged, punched twice, and almost raped?

Slowly, I stood up on shaky legs and quietly made my way to the door.  I leaned my head out and looked both left and right down the hallway but I couldn’t see Mitch anywhere.  Quietly, I tiptoed out and down the hallway.  The floor creaked once as I walked.  I paused, listening hard for Mitch.  But when I didn’t hear him, I continued down the hall.

It ended going into a huge room that was much like the bedroom that Mitch had me in.  The walls were peeling paint and there were stains on the ceiling and carpet. 

A breeze went through the air and I looked to see the front door open.  I shivered, realizing that I was still in just my bra and panties, but started toward it. 

But just then, a huge figure appeared in the doorway.  My heart started pounding as the person stepped inside.  And just then, they flipped on a flashlight and I was able to see their face.

“Kane,” I breathed, tears welling up in my eyes.

He was dressed in all black, not his tux that he’d worn earlier, though.  It was like he just stepped out of a movie in a FBI uniform, complete with bulletproof vest, rifle in his hand and two pistols strapped to his thighs, and an earpiece in his ear.  

“Reece,” he said quietly, lowering his gun.  His voice sounded relieved and his face looked it also.  But when he really looked at me, noticing I was half naked, his eyes flared. 

Someone grabbed me from behind, wrapping an arm around my neck.  I felt the cool metal of a gun press against my temple.

“Don’t make another move,” Mitch growled close to my ear.

Kane’s gun was back up and aimed at me and Mitch.

“Let her go, Mitch,” Kane said through his teeth. 

I saw one of Kane’s hand go to the earpiece in his ear.

“Don’t call your backup,” Mitch yelled, and I winced.

Kane laughed.  “Too late,” he said. 

Mitch tightened his arm around my neck, cutting off my air.  I gasped as my eyes started to water from the lack of oxygen. 

Just then, two more figures ran through the door.  When I saw their faces, I couldn’t believe it. 

Pax and Jeremy were dressed just like Kane was, right down to the rifles poised in their grasps. 

“Oh, look,” Mitch said, kissing the side of my head.  Kane’s eyes flared again.  “I guess I forgot to mention that they were in on it also.  Pax here was assigned to basically be your bodyguard, watch your back, you know?  And Jeremy was the guy who followed my every move via his computers.”

Mitch held me tighter and pulled the gun away from my head.  But then he aimed it at Kane’s head.

“No!” I gasped, trying to get out of his grasp. 

He put the gun back against my head and I immediately froze.  “Now, Reece, you need to stop that,” he said. 

I swallowed hard as he aimed the gun back at Kane. 

“Now, Mr. Jackson, if you would be so kind as to drop all your weapons and take off your bulletproof vest.”

“Don’t do it, Kane,” Jeremy said.  He and Pax still had their guns aimed at Mitch. 

“All that matters is her,” he said, locking eyes with me. 

“No,” I breathed as he put his rifle on the ground, sliding it to the side, and then did the same with his other two guns.  He was still looking at me as he undid the buckles on his bulletproof vest and tossed it aside so that he was only wearing his black cargo pants and black t-shirt. 

“Now,” Mitch said.  “Come on over here.”

Kane started walking slowly toward us, his eyes still locked with mine.  There was a swirl of emotion in them but I could see his love for me shining through all of them. 

“I love you, Reece,” Kane said. 

“I love you, too,” I cried.

“No, you don’t!” Mitch yelled in my ear.  “You don’t love him!  You love me!”

“No, Mitch, I don’t,” I said.  “I love Kane.  Nothing’s going to change that.”

“Oh,” he said, aiming his gun at Kane’s chest.  I could hear the smile in his voice.  “I can change that.”

Just then, an ear splitting shot rang throughout the room.  Pax and Jeremy were too shocked to even make a move.

I screamed when I looked at the blood dripping from the left side of Kane’s chest and finally broke away from Mitch’s grasp.  Kane dropped to the floor and I dropped to my knees beside him.

“What did you do?” I screamed, looking from Mitch to Kane and back again.

Mitch smiled as he raised the gun again and aimed it at me.

“This,” he said. 

Another shot rang out and I dropped to the floor beside Kane.

I was so shocked that I didn’t feel the searing pain in my stomach until after I put my hand to it and pulled away to see blood.  My breath was coming in short gasps as my head dropped to the side facing Kane’s. 

He was looking at me, tears running down his face and into his hair. 

It was the first time I’d seen him cry.

And probably the last.

Because we were lying here, in puddles of our own blood and starting to run together, like some ghetto Romeo and Juliet as more shots rang out all around us. 

We even had the forbidden love.

But the only thing I was focused on was him until I saw his eyes start to close and mine did the same. 

***OMJ!!!!!!!!!1  Major cliffhanger, I know!  I'm sorry I like doing that to you guys so much but it's just too much fun!!!1

So anywho...

Comment, Vote, Like!!!1***