chapter 4

Episode 4 recap:

Arab envoy Mubarat needs emergency medical attention and is taken to the Hae Sung medical facility as the nearest option. I don't know why they bothered because Mubarat's bodyguards immediately draw their guns and refuse to let the doctors operate on him, insisting on waiting until the Arab doctors arrive. Mo Yeon insists that he needs surgery now as his belly is swollen with abdominal bleeding. Shi Jin gets Mo Yeon to put her mouth where her money is and assure him that she can save the patient's life.

Shi Jin contravenes direct orders from Colonel Park to not operate on Mubarat against his bodyguard's wishes, pulling his gun and telling the doctors to wheel the patient into the OR. The doctors wheel the patient into the OR as the Korean soldiers face off against Mubarat's bodyguards. Mo Yeon turns back to stare at Shi Jin who hilariously turns to stare at her as well, despite the gun pointed two inches from his head. Clearly both sides just need to get their gun toting jollies off and no one is going to start shooting.

General Yoon rushes to the Blue House for a meeting as everyone in Korea gets the update that the patient is in the OR. The Korean doctor back in Seoul confirms Mo Yeon's diagnosis is correct but the politicians just don't want an international incident on their hands. Neither does the hospital Managing Director as he rushes to join the meeting.

Colonel Park is radioing in for Shi Jin to stop this nonsense but no one is paying attention to him. The sound of sirens wailing confirm that the Korean soldiers are mobilizing for an emergency DefCon1. Colonel Park orders Shi Jin to stop the surgery now and drag the doctors away otherwise he will kill then all!

The doctors notice an old surgery scar on Mubarat that wasn't on his medical file. Dr. Song is hesitant and wants to stop but Mo Yeon is all about doctor duty to save the life of a patient. She starts the surgery while outside Mubarat's bodyguard is warning that this will lead to conflict but Shi Jin stands his ground, insisting that the doctors inside are just doing their duty to save a life.

Mubarat's vitals start to fall and he's bleeding profusely. Chi Hoon is a nervous wreck since he just became a new dad. Mu Yeon remains calm and orders Chi Hoon to get more blood from the bank so they can continue the surgery. Chi Hoon passes by the standoff on his way to get more blood. Dae Young radios back to Colonel Park that the surgery remains underway. The Arab contingent doctors are close to arriving on site.

Mo Yeon and Dr. Song close the anyeurism and the patient's vitals have stabilized. Mo Yeon expertly sutures the patient as everyone lets out a sigh of relief. Mubarak's doctor checks him out in recovery and confirms that the surgery went well, but warns that the patient still needs to wake up for the operation to be considered a success. Mo Yeon is uncowed and sasses back that if she did nothing there would be a dead body right now. The doctors are all exhausted and hungry, but Chi Hoon is genuinely worried about the ramifications if the patient doesn't wake up.

The President's Chief of Staff meets with General Yoon and the Managing Director and gives the command that a scapegoat be readied if the worst case were to happen. General Yoon places a call to Dae Young that Shi Jin is to be stripped of his position and placed under military arrest for contravening orders. He does tell Dae Young that he's proud of what his squad did but the orders don't change.

Shi Jin can tell from the downcast faces of his team and hands over his weapons and gear to go willingly. Dae Young informs Shi Jin that he's being detained for insubordination.

The medical team is having ramyun when Min Ji suddenly wonders if she counted the gauze swabs wrong and some may have been left inside the patient. Dang, even not knowing if that happened is such careless malpractice. Nurse Ha wants to go back and recount just to make sure.