DESCENDANT OF THE SUN

Duty calls Shi Jin away before his date with Mo Yeon, arriving in the form of a helicopter whirring through Seoul just to pick him up. Damn you, patriotic duty! Shi Jin promises to come back and asks for a date with Mo Yeon in a week. This time not at the hospital and to watch a movie, but Mo Yeon doesn't make him promise that he won't bail on her again. If she were a lawyer rather than a doctor she would have extracted that rather pertinent promise since he's prone to fly away just like that.

Mo Yeon watches the helicopter carrying her attraction at first sight lover boy away, presumably to shoot some shit up somewhere. She looks slightly crestfallen, not overly so to make this some sort of earth shattering separation since she just met Shi Jin, but the appropriate amount of mild disappointment at a smexy dude just eluding her grasp.

Her sunbae Dr. Song Sang Hyun walks up to Mo Yeon asking why she's up here on the roof? He wonders why Mo Yeon keeps looking skyward (he's not coming back, girl, at least not tonight) and asks Dr. Hyun if special forces soldiers in Korea have their own helicopter pickups and also gunshot wounds. Dr. Hyun scoffs at that, SK soldiers at most endure rain and snow, andven have to clean up said rain and snow afterwards. Mo Yeon says her guy flew off and Dr. Song advises Mo Yeon that he likely had a good reason.

The good reason is in Afghanistan as Shi Jin's squad is sent in paired with a team of US commandos for a rescue mission. Two UN envoys have been kidnapped by ISIS and the joint task force is to stage a rescue mission.

The first mission goes awry as one of Shi Jin's subordinates steps on a trip wire, but it turns out to be a mock exercise. That pisses off the US commander who insults the South Koreans with a flying knife warning and some choice insults to go home and play with mama. Shi Jin doesn't take kindly to that and sends the same knife flying back at the US commander right between his legs.

The two men go at it in a mana-a-mano drag out fight, with Dae Young stopping the juniors from interfering in the fight since the two squad leaders are also testing each other's ability to know how much to trust the other during the real mission. The fight is super intense and ends when Shi Jin does a taken down maneuver of his opponent. A superior officer comes running in and orders the men to stand down and get back to business.

Mo Yeon has finished her interview for the medical professor position and feels good about it, especially since this is her third time applying. A younger Dr. Kim Eun Ji walks in, so inappropriately dressed as a doctor, and reveals that she just had an interview for the same position. She wanders off to go to surgery while Mo Yeon's friend Dr. Pyo Ji Soo is upset on Mo Yeon's behalf since it took Dr. Kim multiple times to pass her exams and shouldn't even be considered for this professor position.

Mo Yeon is surprised to see skanky Dr. Kim in surgery with her, made worse with Dr. Kim claims the department chair told her to do the surgery. The surgery begins and the scene is intercut with Shi Jin and his squad on the rescue mission. Dr. Kim makes a boo boo on the operating table and nicks the patient causing massive blood loss. Mo Yeon moves in to save the day since Surgery Jesus isn't around. Back in Afghanistan, the joint rescue team encounters the terrorist kidnappers and exchange gunfire. The scene continues to intercut Mo Yeon's surgery with Shi Jin's rescue mission.

Mo Yeon succeeds in saving the patient's life as Shi Jin also succeeds in rescuing the kidnapped UN envoys right before they are beheaded on camera. He even keeps the US soldiers from tripping a bomb wire. Shi Jin radios in that the hostages are safe as Mo Yeom completes the surgery and orders Dr. Kim to finish up.

Mo Yeon angrily leaves the OR and can't believe the incompetent nerve of Dr. Kim. A younger Dr. Jang Hee Eun calms Mo Yeon down while Mo Yeon worries about the baby Dr. Jang is carrying as a single mom. Dr. Jang flashes a ring and says she won't be a single mom as he's proposed.