Chapter One

Idaho, USA

August 31, 2021

I guess it isn't really that bad here...

Molly Dreshner was at her favorite spot in the entire world. Surrounded by rolling hills in every direction, she laid on top of the old rusted cadillac abandoned here decades ago. This was where she has always come for her own peace of mind, where she discovered herself, and today she was here for the last time.

At seventeen, Molly was still so young, but this tiny town has given her all it can and today she was moving. She can still remember the conversation she had with her family about it just two months ago.

----

"Mom, Dad... I'm moving to San Diego."

"You think you can just dump this on us?! What about a job? How are you possibly going to support yourself?" her mom, Penelope, was the first to respond in her typical worrisome way.

"Penny," her dad interrupted, "let her explain herself... This could be good," he said with a wink.

"Look. I know I'm only seventeen, but I graduated early, and with honors! I just can't be stuck in this town anymore! This life is not for me, I need to experience the city, we're stuck in the stone ages here!" Molly considered her words. She knew she wasn't sounding too convincing.

"Cool with me," her little brother responded. "Dibs on her room!"

"Jonathan, shut it. This isn't about you," Penny gave her fifteen year-old son a stern look. "Steve, really? You're okay with this?"

"Honey, you know Molly has always been a free spirit. We can't hold her back. I know she isn't eighteen yet, but c'mon," Steve grabbed his wife's hand, "you know she can do it. She's an old soul, our responsible one."

"Hey! I resent that..." Jonathan murmured.

Molly laughed at her brother and punched him lightly on the shoulder. "Okay big boy, maybe now you'll be responsible!"

"Molly... have you taken care of any of your arrangements? When are you moving?" Penny seemed concerned and worried, but agreed with her husband that this move is in Molly's best interest.

"Yes, Mom. I move at the end of August. I've found an apartment and I'll be working on the pier taking tourist photos. I know it's not much but I'm glad I found something!"

"Okay sweetheart. We have a lot of preparations to make, I guess we better get started."

"Thanks Mom, Dad. I love you guys... Maybe even you too, Johnny," Molly said with shining and tearful eyes. This is actually happening, San Diego here I come!

----

The day had arrived. She sat up from her perfect spot, took one more permanent mental picture of her surroundings and walked home for the last time.

Walking up to their old farm house, she marveled at its simple beauty. Built in 1924, it has held up well over the years, although there is always something to be fixed. Her parents wouldn't change that for the world though. They say everything now is too technological for their taste. Luckily for them this part of Idaho seems to think it's still 1990 or something. Her parents still drive a Prius for goodness sake... A hybrid? Who even thinks of those anymore? She laughed to herself. Oh but I'll miss this old house...

"Mom, Dad!" she yelled into the front door, "I need to be at the airport in 20 minutes! Who's driving me?" To her surprise all three of her family members came to the door ready to take her to her destination. Her brother even looked like he had been crying. Oh boy, I'm not sure I'll be able to handle saying goodbye...