Chapter 22 - Mud War

Start from the beginning

Here comes the first to fall into the mud.

But before I do, someone pulls me in another direction and I collide with a body, but the strength is too much and the ground too slippery: I drag the person down with me. I realise it's Will when I land on his chest instead of the mud, he took the fall for me.

"Are you okay?" I ask immediately, my eyes wide.

"Careful!" someone shouts and that makes Will react, looking over my shoulder right in time to roll us over before Dolly runs over us. We turn one, two, threw times an even if he cages me securely in his arms, I still feel the weight of his body.

"Are you okay?" he uses the same question I made, watching me carefully. I feel the cold mud in my clothes, some has reached our faces and as I stare down, I can only blink in surprise, but words don't leave my mouth so I nod. Will smiles and I feel his body relaxing under mine. "Well, this isn't as romantic as they play it in movies, uh? And it's quite cold to be lying in the mud."

I snort at his comment, not even impressed he'd make such connection.

"Well, look at the bright side, you can get a nice facial. And you need it, you're getting old," I tease him back, grabbing some mud in my hand and just pressing it against his face. He gasps and freezes, so I rub it all over his features. "And it's free!"

"You little—" he murmurs before rolling once again, leaving me against the mud and straddling me as his hands gather mud to throw at my face. "You like your free facial?" he asks as I rub my hand down to remove some of the mud away before opening my mouth to reply.

"MUD WAR!" Sammy screams before I speak.

Both Will and I turn to look at her but kids are too fast and the game of chasing the pig turns into a real mud fight. I use him as a shield, but so he does and the kids are ruthless, the three of them attacking us so we don't have another option but to join forces while Nora holds the pig in her lap, laughing her arse off.

When did she catch Dolly?

It's fair to say that by the time Will and I call defeat, both are totally the colour of the earth and the kids are celebrating in triumph. He helps me back on my feet but I feel like I weight twice as much

"Clarisse will kill us," Will mumbles and that makes the kids stop their cheering to look at him horrified. "You better wash up before she sees you. You know what to do."

They nod their heads and run out of the battle scene. Nora also stands up, releasing Dolly who runs towards the neighbouring corral once Will opens the door for her. When I return my focus on Nora, she's holding the hose.

"Stand still, you two," she says, aiming at us and my eyes wide. As I understand what she's planning to do, I try to escape but Will grabs me by the waist, lifting me as I kick the air and scream. "Blanca, close your mouth."

And as she says that, she's throwing water at us and she was right, I had to close my mouth. She mercilessly washes away the mud with cold water, and screaming doesn't help, besides Will doesn't release me until we're soaking wet, but not covered in mud.

"This was such a bad idea," I stutter, bracing myself to stop the trembling a bit.

"Take her inside so she can get a hot shower," Will tells Nora, to what she nods and then wraps an arm around me, to keep me warm.

Every step is difficult, all my clothes are soaked and the boots weight like ten kilos each, but we head to the house hoping not to get caught.

"You're a terrible human," I tell her as we approach the house, my teeth keep clattering.

"Ah, come on, you still had fun," she defends herself. I watch her grinning, even if she's trying to hide it. "Besides, it was cute."

"Risking myself to get a pneumonia now that I got my casts off?" I inquire.

"No," she replies easily. "The fact you and Will fought on the same side. And I'm sure you didn't notice that until I pointed it out." The look she gives me leaves me colder than the water she used to wash the mud away. I gulp and just blink.

"Enemies can become allies, Blanca." I still can't reply to that. "Now, lets get you warm so you don't get that pneumonia. With a hot chocolate you can tell me what it felt to be in his arms like that."

"Yah!" I exclaim, but she only laughs and I'm left with his unsettling feeling in my guts.

❅ ❅ ❅

I almost don't write this chapter. I had such a bad headache because it was just too hot and I had to walk under the sun... I hate summer. Anyhow, it's here and I hope you liked it.

If you'd like to read how Nora saw this interaction, 555 votes on this chapter before Friday for a new bonus content.

Dedication to plumenoirrainbow

Bel, xx

~updates every Monday and Friday~