Chapter 10 - Surprise!

If I say we hug each other for half hour I'm not exaggerating. I know very well it's been just a few days since everything happened, but it's felt like weeks since we last saw each other, since I left home thinking it would just be another charity. But she's back at my side and since my father's death, she's been the person I lean on. Nora is not just my best friend and family, she's my pillar. I feel like I can properly breathe now that she's with me.

"Oh Blanca," she mumbles in my hair, pulling back just enough to look me in the eyes. "I was so scared. When the news..." Nora shakes her head, fighting back tears at the memory. I use that chance to wipe out my own memories.

"I know, it's okay." I try to reassure her, rubbing her arms in a soothing action.

"Don't ever do that to me again."

"Not that I was planning on it," I add sarcastically and it only gets me a smack in my arm. "Ouch! I was just cleared up today. Careful with the patient."

"You idiotic fool, don't make those comments when I'm emotionally unstable."

"Mianhae," I apologise in Korean, giving her my best smile that she reluctantly replies.

"Blanca," Samantha speaks then, reminding me are not alone. "Who is she?"

"She's my friend. Her name is Nora," I introduce easily and see her tilting her head.

"Nan Clarisse said you don't remember anything but your name, and just your first name. Do you remember now?" the little girl asks innocently and I widen my eyes in panic when I realise the mistake I've made. I totally forgot I also have to pretend I just remember my name in case these kids get interviewed when I go back. We need to keep the story constant.

"Um... not that but... um..." I look at Nora with panic in my eyes, mentally collapsing in this moment.

"We meet at the hospital. They sent me to look after her and help her recover her memories. It's nice to meet you. You don't mind I'm here?" Nora explains, probably knowing what to say after talking about it with Louise back at home. I just nod along, as if I knew all this already.

"I don't mind, but Liam and Danny over there have bad personalities," Samantha accuses, pointing behind her back, to the corner where the two kids are spying on us.

"We do not! Stop lying, Sammy!" Danny shouts from his corner, stepping forward just a bit before going back to protect Liam. "And we don't care if she stays if she's good to us."

"I'll be the best," Nora promises. "And because I knew I was coming here, I've brought something for you all. Do you want to see?"

I chuckle when the kids' eyes sparkle with excitement. Even shy little Liam comes rushing when Nora turns to one of the bags and zips it open. Liam is still holding on to Danny's tee as they watch together how Nora takes a few flat presents and hands them each one.

"Can we open them?" Sammy asks then and Nora nods, rising back to her feet to stand next to me, holding my good hand. I've left the crutch on the floor but I can stand without forcing my bad leg, I just get a bit exhausted.

We watch the three kids opening their presents and then hear their screams when they realise Nora has brought for each iPads. I nod approvingly and then look at her suspiciously.