Chapter 22 - Mud War

Start from the beginning

"You're going to play now?" He asks, and I nod along, because it seems I'm not the only one who thinks it isn't wise to play now.

"Of course!" she screams. "If we wait for the others, then it'll get colder and I won't catch Dolly." She pouts, big glassy eyes and hands intertwined in a plea. I'm surprised to see her manipulating him like that, and that Will is so weak. He only sighs and throws his head back, giving up.

"Fine, I'll go get her ready. Go get the boots and everything else."

The kids scream in cheer join and jump to action, going inside the house faster than I've ever seen them running. I turn to look at Will who heaves a tired sigh and turns to where the pigs are.

"Is this a good idea?"

"Try to tell her that," Will replies, shaking his head. "Better do it now before it gets colder. She won't hold you on to it anymore once this is over. You just have to be there, no need to go for the win."

I'm about to say something else, to continue protesting but he walks away and I stay with Nora, who walks up to me to stop by my side. "This should be fun," she muses then.

"Yeah, and muddy," I add, making her chuckle.

I turn to look at her, glaring her one more time for what she did in the van, but before I can tell her anything about that, she loops her arm around mine and drags me after Will. It's clear she's also playing and I sigh, it doesn't seem I have another option so I better deal with it, carefully, though. Just being part of it, not going crazy trying to catch the pig.

Will has led one of the pigs, a small one, into another corral and is throwing some water to create more mud. I wince at the sight, but I don't say anything. Soon, Sammy, Liam and Andy arrive with boots for all of us as Will makes sure to push the pig, Dolly, into the mud. She doesn't seem to mind, and the kids are giggling and bouncing. Nora and I also get in some boots and get ready for the game, I tie my hair and prepare mentally for what's to come. Maybe I don't even need to move much, just watching the kids chasing the pig.

"Are you sure you want to play?" I ask Nora and she's smiling.

"Yeah, it looks fun."

"Hmm... I suddenly feel like I'm back in Chile for the National Holidays. At least the pig isn't waxed but covered in mud... hold on, I think that's worse."

"Stop rambling about traditional games and get in," she tells me, throwing a leg over the fence. When Will notices what she's doing, he hurries to help her land safely, same with the kids and finally with me.

Dolly is at one extreme, and we're at the other. The most excited ones are the kids and Will looks at them with a fond smile, holding his hand up as a sign, I assume. Then he starts a countdown from five and unconsciously, I get ready, too. It's an instinct, I think, when you hear someone counting down, you immediately get ready for anything.

"Go!" he shouts and the kids sprint forward, screaming, what makes Dolly scream back and run from them.

Nora and Will also go after the pig, my friend is laughing out loud and although she's going after the pig, when this is too close she screams and dodges her, and the kids behind. I laugh at that and decide to try to catch Dolly as well, but without running. My muscles aren't ready for it.

I try to be strategic, so I can catch Dolly instead of just desperately running after her. When I'm in a point where I know I have a chance to grab her when she runs past, I get ready, but I underestimate her. She's faster and when I move forward, she changes trajectory, escaping me as well. With all the running, there's more mud that it should be and I wasn't born with the grace of a ballerina or trained to have a good footing, however I'm blaming on the fact I just got my casts removed that I lose my balance.