Adventurous Niño

ADVENTUROUS NIÑO

The Story: A couple who lived in a mountain barangay lost their carabao one day. That night, as they were getting ready to pray at the altar, they noticed that their Santo Niño statue was gone. The next day, they were surprised to see their carabao outside the house. According to one neighbor, he saw the carabao pass in front of his house. He said that a young boy was riding on the back of the animal. That night, when they were preparing to sleep, they noticed that their Santo Niño was back. They also noticed that the vestment of the statue was filled with thistles (amorseco.) The couple believed that it was the Santo Niño who brought their carabao back.

It Gets Crazy: There are numerous versions of the story. Some claim that the image now housed at the Basilica would occasionally disappear late at night. And the next morning, the statue would mysteriously reappear with muddy shoes and vestments. Sweets and toys can also be seen littered inside the glass case.

The Effect: Devotees of the Santo Niño believe that these stories simply indicate the nature of the Niño. That he is, afterall, a child. This explains why devotees shower the image with children’s gifts like candies, fruits, toys, and children’s clothes. In fact, a complete collection of some of the most expensive gifts for the Niño are now displayed at the Santo Niño Museum.