Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Kill

Start from the beginning

"You're going so soon? I thought we'd have a full night together." Regina swallowed, shaking her head. "No?"

"No." She whispered. "Katherine's expecting me."

Large hands came down on her shoulders. "Regina." Leopold pleaded. "You always leave. For once can't you stay? You should stay with me. Where your heart is."

"My heart isn't with you." And with that, Regina disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

***

The circle of tents around the fire was so familiar. Usually quite crowded, she stood all alone The men who once greeted her every morning were missing. She stood, looking around in confusion.

"Don't worry, mi'lady." His raspy voice made the hairs on her neck stand up. Heat spread from her belly to her cheeks. "They've all gone to town to restock."

She turned to see him then by the flap of his tent. His white shirt was untucked from his pants, his hair an absolute mess. It seemed like a lifetime since she'd seen him last. He looked so different from what she remembered. His hair was a bit darker and his eyes a bit brighter.

"It's early." He reasoned, looking at the sky. It was well before sunrise, he was right. "Is everything okay?" She was speechless. "Regina?" He started to move towards her, carefully setting one hand on her hip before cupping her cheek. "Come back to sleep?" His warm breath brushed her forehead before he bent down, gently kissing her.

Craving his touch, she pulled him closer. Her hands couldn't stay still as they gripped his night shirt and ran up his arms. He chuckled, pulling her close to him. Her head finally came to rest on his shoulder as they swayed in the cool mining breeze. "What're you doing up so early? I don't think I could ever say you've been an early riser."

"I... I don't know." She murmured, nuzzling into his warmth. It felt like ages since she'd been wrapped in his arms.

He took her hand then as he lead her back to his tent. She looked around, trying to locate the beige one that had been hers. But it was gone.

Exhaustion took over her as she lowered herself onto the large palate. This felt right. Felt good. He sat beside her, pulling the olive green blanket over her before laying down himself. A heavy arm draped over her waist, a forehead rested gently against her upper back. "I love-"

Regina sat up straight in her bed in a daze. Her heart pounded hard against her ribcage. She turned frantically, trying to find his body beside her. She still felt the weight of his arm across her hips, his breath against her spine.

Tears of frustration burned Regina's eyes as she tore at the sheets. A single sob escaped her lips before she threw a pillow in rage, watching as it exploded in a feathery mess. Regina clenched her fists. She felt her nails as they dug into her skin.

After the crippling waves of emotion subsided, Regina slipped from her bed and padded into the bathroom. Regina flicked her wrist, watching in the mirror as the bathtub behind her filled with cold water. Turning, she quickly stripped from her nightgown and lowered herself into the ice bath.

Freezing water hit Regina's skin, eliciting a hiss from her. But it was good. The temperature of the water took over her whole mind for just long enough to distract her from her dreams and from what she knew had to happen today.

Regina soon became acclimated to the cold waters, allowing her mind to ease back to the thoughts crowding her head. She finally pushed herself out of the tub and found a towel before parting herself down so she wouldn't drip on the gray tile.