2. Soda

Tuesday. One more day until Spring Break, and I was so excited that I could barely focus in class. Not including tomorrow, I just had to survive this period, the two after that, lunch, and...oh for the love of fuck I had Astronomy again. I took a deep breath. I needed to get through five classes and lunch, and one of the most infuriating boys I had ever met was between me and my happiness. I groaned quietly, leaning until my head was against my locker. I let my arms hang down in exhaustion, seeing as how I hadn't slept the night before, and groaned again. Today was going to suck. Hard.

"Good morning, sunshine."

"Get. Away. From. My. Locker." I didn't even turn to look at Corey.

"You look tired."

I sighed. What was the point in replying to him when he basically just had a conversation with himself the whole time? Whatever. "Yeah. I am. I was having nightmares about having to see you in class again today." I turned around now to face him. He was chuckling under his breath. Well, I hadn't had nightmares about him exactly, but the first part wasn't a lie.

"I happen to be looking forward to it."

"Good for you."

He chuckled again.

I sighed, too tired to deal with him at the moment. "What could you possibly want right now? What happened to the whole staying away from me thing because I'm a nightmare or whatever you said."

"I thought about it. You seemed to happy to stay away from me. Therefore," he said, a smirk hinting at his features, "I'm not going to stay away from you."

"Don't expect much of a conversation from me."

"We're having one right now."

"Don't remind me." My eyes shifted from his eyes to his hair, which was only a little bit higher than his eyes. There was a very obvious white streak in his hair. "Do you dye your hair or something? Your eyelashes too? Or are those fake?"

I honestly hadn't meant to offend him. I was genuinely curious. He didn't know that. His eyes became guarded and cold, losing what little humor they had been offering a moment ago.

"You don't have to answer," I muttered a little more quietly, feeling guilt pull at my stomach. "I just think it looks cool is all. It's interesting." I yanked my backpack higher on my shoulder so that it rested more comfortably, tearing my eyes away from his hair to look him in the eye again as he hastily moved his hood, which was up again. As I walked away, I didn't hear footsteps. I was pretty sure that he was watching me. Whatever.

* * * * *

"Um...Ryder?"

"What?" I mumbled around a nacho, which I had been nibbling on for about a minute.

"He's, uh...watching you."

"Good for him."

"No...it's freaking me out...could you, like, say something to him?"

"Kelsey," I said calmly, putting down my nacho, "if I look at him and turn around and you have taken any of my guacamole, I swear that I will not eat with you for at least a month."

"Okay, okay, yeah, just fix it."

With a sigh, I stood up from the table and walked to the part of the cafeteria that linked to the hallway. "What do you want, Corey?" I asked in a tired tone.

"Who said I wanted anything?"

"The girl that has been complaining for twenty minutes that you're looking at our table."