Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Scream

Start from the beginning

Nothing.

Regina placed one dirtied foot on the first step that descended into even more darkness. Four torches flickered at the bottom of the stairs, illuminating her way down into another corridor. Her body quivered from the lack of heat as she pushed back her soaking wet hair.

Once she was at the bottom, Regina quickly surveyed her space. On one side, a dimly lit hallway twisted and curved out of sight. To the left was a room of shelves, filled with books and weapons. A bloodied whip hung from a hook in the wall, dark crimson dripping to a pool on the floor. Regina grimaced and turned to her right, the brushing of her skirts creating the only sound. The dark hall opened up to a large room with candles all around. Gray stone haunted her from floor to ceiling but the sight in the middle of the room left her weak.

There, hanging from two shackles attached to his wrists, was a man. His head hung low as his shoulders hunched from the weight of his body. His bloodied knees brushed the cool stone slab below him. His hair was matted and crisp with his own fluids. Scars and bruises covered his chest and arms as shadows hid most of his body from sight. Regina let out a single cry before clamping a small, frail hand over her mouth. Her whole body shook as tears welled in her eyes. She had to be strong, she reminded herself as she took a step forwards.

Quickly glancing around the room, Regina searched for a key to free him. A lock or a blade to let him be.

But there was nothing.

Maybe it wasn't him, she thought, swallowing the lump in her throat. But even she knew that the disguise of blood couldn't hide this man. The tightness of his muscles, wrapping around his arms like a cord, the way his hair grew, the shape of his torso.

Robin.

Regina rushed forwards as tears slowly fell down her cheeks. Her hands hovered over his body, wanting to help but not wanting to hurt. "Robin?" She whimpered, shoving the black cloak onto the floor beside her. Regina knelt, not caring about the blood that would soon stain her dress. "Robin... Please." She whispered, gently cradling his head.

Robin let out a hiss of pain as Regina leaned forwards and gently set her lips against his. She had missed him, his gentle way. She had missed the way he'd kissed her, the way he made her feel.

Robin became quiet, not aware of what was happening right away. But then he jolted.

Robin tensed, trying to move to bring her closer, hold her tight. Regina jumped as he groaned, hanging once again. "Hey." She whispered, brushing back his hair and kissing the clean spots of his face. "Hey don't do that, okay?" Her voice barely quivered as she reached up and curled her fingers between his. "I'm here. I'm here."

The tears came more violently now as anger seized over her sadness. How dare they hurt him? Turn this strong man into a hopeless heap of pain?

"Regina?" He strained, lifting his head to gaze at her with black eyes. The young princess nodded as she balled the cloak up over her left fist, gently dabbing at his wounds with the damp cloth. He hissed in protest but kept going. Her body ached, wanting to touch him. Wanting to hold him.

"I'm here." She whispered, kissing him again. Robin leaned forward in temptation but fell limp from pain, letting a cry leave his lips. "I'm so sorry." Regina whispered, pulling back with worry.

Robin struggled, his hand squeezing hers lightly. "Leave." His voice was barely audible but Regina was able to make out what he said.

"What?" She asked, stunned. "No. I... I found you. This is all my fault. I'm not going to..: to leave you just so you can get beaten for what I've done." Regina shook her head and clasped her hands. "If you'd just gone on with your business, none of this would've happened. You wouldn't be here. I'm so sorry."

Looking up, Regina realized Robin had gone unconscious. She sighed, hating that the pain was too much to handle. Her hands hesitated over the cloak, wanting to wash away the extra blood. But she knew that if Robin was found cleaner than he was left that he'd have to pay a steep price.

Regina, not wanting to leave his side, slowly curled up at Robin's knees, propping her head on her elbow. She'd decided to stay here until morning when she could slip away and work hard to find a way out for Robin.

Her eyes slowly fluttered closed, exhaustion n washing over her body. Regina fought to stay awake until finally she couldn't take it, drifting off to sleep beside Robin.

***

Zelena made her way across the cell to the far wall. She slowly slid her damp cloak from her shoulders and laid it out on the stone floor to dry. She sighed, stretching slowly as she listened to the rain beat against the tall window.

She had no idea of how much time passed before she heard it. The noise of cloth brushing against hay made the queen turn her head in question.

"Hello?" She asked cautiously, slowly standing from the heap of dress she had folded herself into. "Who's there?"

A small breath sucked in as Zelena strained to see who was facing her. But nobody answered.

"Show yourself." She demanded, hearing the shuffling of feet as a small figure emerged from the shadows.