The Thief's Revenge - Ch 33 [greetings and salutations]

Почніть із самого початку

He raised his hands. "It's so not like that, sheesh! I'm not some kind of man-whore. These girls they... they seem to think that if they can get me into bed they'll rise a rank in my shape-changing pack. Like some kind of Beta to my Alpha... I swear I don't lead them on!"

I rolled my eyes. "No, of course not. You just sit back, let them do what they want and then politely tell them that whatever they're hoping for can't be fulfilled."

"He talks to barely any of them, miss," said the man who seemed to be something like a manservant. Weird, those kinds of 'house staff' were rarely found these days, just like the Bentley was a rare car.

"Barely any..." I muttered. "I'll give you 'barely any'..."

I shoved my hands into my pockets and strolled into the house. "Where's the girl?" I growled.

A hand caught my shoulder. "You're not jealous, are you?" Luke said with a chuckle. "Oh, just give the word and the ring will be on your finger, my love." Not only did the lie stink the air but he stated these words dramatically, like something from Shakespeare.

"I'm not about to have a catfight, sorry to ruin your dream. I'm about to tell the poor girl not to waste her time."

I shook myself out of his grip and made my way down the hall, looking through each door I passed for the stupid woman.

"Erm, Kayli?" Luke called out. "The waiting room is upstairs."

"Alright, fine," I huffed, walking back to the staircase.

"First door on your left!" he said cheerfully. He hardly seemed bothered that I was scaring away his possible night's 'entertainment'. I stomped up the stairs and swung open the door to the waiting room.

"You can't seriously want to..." I stopped as soon as I took in the guest's features. Tightly curled, bright red hair. Curvy, tall figure. "Moro?"

She raised an eyebrow. "I've been tracking your position, so I knew you'd be here some time soon. But I didn't expect you to come barging in like that."

I took a tentative step into the room. "What the hell are you doing in Luke's mansion?"

She frowned, perplexed, then her face cleared. She grinned. "Oh. OH! You think I'm one of his 'visitors'! That's hilarious, Kay. You know me, I wasn't much of a boy chaser in Cornwall..."

She was right but still... "Then why are you here?"

"Seriously? You don't know?" She rolled her eyes. "Kay, you were never that much of an intellectual but I had always thought that you were pretty aware of what was going on around you."

"Eh?" I was hopelessly confused... and slightly insulted. Not much of an intellectual? It was true but... how dare she!

"Me and Fletch. We're... hmm, how to put this." She looked up with a sly smile. "We're lovers."

I jumped on the spot and waved my hands in front of my face. "Okay, first off; I didn't really need to know that! Secondly; SINCE WHEN?! Am I really that blind?"

She laughed, shaking her head. "I really thought it was obvious. His total reluctance to leave England, my unwillingness to let you two be anything more than brother and sister. As soon as he'd cleared it, I was on the next flight here, excusing myself from school by saying that I had to visit my relatives here."

I felt Luke's presence behind me. "Oh man, Moro? What are you doing here? Kayli thought you were one of those gold-diggers."

She grinned. "What kind of friend would I be if I left her alone with you?"