The Thief's Revenge - Ch 39 [his return]

Chapter Thirty-Nine

His Return

__________________

"You want sleep? Tough." I probably shouldn't have mentioned Luke. Now Liam was in full angry mode. "I didn't go through that week only to get you back so that you could SLEEP. If you're really tired you can collapse in the morning. You and I, we're staying up all night." Or maybe he wasn't as angry as I thought.

Shivers ran up and down my spine and I found it hard to stand under his desire filled stare. I was waiting for him to lick his lips, bare his sharp teeth and eat me up. It was getting hard to resist him, Luke and Fletcher fading from my mind, even the sleepiness was no longer apparent. I felt a pull in my stomach, a tug in his direction. I took a step back instead. The look he was giving me appeared dangerous, like I was a fly caught in his web.

"Sleep, err, go, um, tired..." I couldn't even think coherently. I took another step away. "C-Crazy. You're crazy." Way to sound firm, Kayli...

"I know. Crazy for you," he murmured.

I blanched. "You're corny too." I stumbled slightly as I edge backwards and my hand found the door knob. I turned it, relieved to find it unlocked.

He took a long step forward, that wolfish grin on his face again. "You've teased me twice tonight. I've got to repair my reputation as a hard-ass. I'll tease you in return and we'll be even."

"I'm no tease!" I objected.

"Oh Goddess, don't tell me you have no idea what you do to me." He rolled his eyes but they quickly returned to mine.

I opened the door and slid through the small gap. I wasn't fast enough to shut the door before he got to it but at least I was out of that cramped room. He leant against the wall next to the door and smirked.

"Eager to get to the bedroom, eh?"

I felt my blood flush my face. I turned away so that he wouldn't be able to tease me about my blush. He lunged forward and whipped me around until I was pressed against the wall, his body leaning over me. His mischievous grin had vanished and was replaced with worry. Had I done something wrong?

"Why are you avoiding me?" he asked, a slight tremble in his voice.

I stared at his neck where I could just see his pulse throbbing quickly. Mine was going at the same fast pace.

"Do you prefer someone else?" He brushed his body up against mine, thigh to thigh, chest to chest. I shivered with desire.

I wet my lips, trying to concentrate on what he was saying. Was he serious? Did he really think there could be anyone else?

"Liam. You're it for me. You've spoiled me for anyone else," I said with a grin, trying to lighten his unhappy aura.

"Do you wish you could be with someone else?" he asked softly.

I tilted my head, trying to figure him out. Who was this? He seemed so unsure, so different to the usual confident Liam. It was like he'd taken down all his barriers, showing all his weaknesses. He was truly brave. And I loved him. Couldn't he see that?

I reached up for his face, taking it lightly into my hands. His eyes were unwavering on mine so I poured every ounce of love I had into them, hoping he could see it. "Liam, you have to know I love you. No one else would be as perfect for me as you are."

"Can you prove it?" he whispered. Then he closed his eyes, shook his head and rested it onto my shoulder, nuzzling into my neck. "Don't... just forget I said anything..."