Chapter 30 - Secrets

Start from the beginning

I shake my head at him, still trying to distance myself from him, now more from the fact that I probably have horrible morning breath and I must look like some poor deprived little caveman rather than because I don’t want to be near him. If anything I want to pull him closer, tangle my hands through his hair and just kiss him. But that’s not really possible when you look like you could psych out at any moment and you have no idea where your clothes have gone…

Remembering this again, I cross my arms in front of my chest, “Where are my clothes.” I mumble frantically, pushing myself away from him with my feet.

 I nearly fall of the bed but Lady-Killer comes out to catch me. Damn arm. “You barfed all over your dress Hale.” He says simply, a small frown on his face, “You drank way too much last night.”

“I was drunk?” I squeak, still hanging off the bed with him half on top of me.

He pulls me back and props his head up with his hands, a small smirk now on his face, “You were absolutely and completely wasted babe.”

I squint my eyes shut hoping to block out whatever is happening right now and trying to remember what kind of damage I’ve done.

Little by little, like an ice-cube melting under a light, I slowly get some memories back. Flashes of different people come to me in short bursts, some of whom I don’t remember ever meeting.

“Where’s Jeremy and the others?” I ask, opening my eyes and lifting my head up to look around the room in case they might be around.

I’m pulled back down crushed to Jake’s chest as he rests his head on top of mine, “Never talk about or to that guy ever again. I swear, if we hadn’t been friends for so long I would have socked him right in the face for kissing you.”

“I WHAT?!” I shriek in horror.

Jake winces at my shrill voice and pulls away slightly, “You don’t remember?”

I shake my head vehemently, “All I remember was that drinking game we played.”

“Huh?”

“Dancing on the table.”

“What?”

“I think we played spin the bottle at some point too…”

“YOU WHAT?!”

 “What did I do?!” I whisper, absolutely appalled as the flood gates open and memories finally come rushing back.

Jake’s face seems to mirror my thoughts as he looks down at me, “You’re asking me!? Why the hell did you drink in the first place!?”

I glare up at him, pushing against his chest as I move back, “It’s all your fault! Not mine!”

He glowers back at me, all sympathy and kindness gone now, “I really don’t see how I got you drunk. You’re the one who ran off by yourself. You’re the one who didn’t want to go to the party with me.”

“Yeah, and you were more than happy to be with that girl.” I retort, struggling to get up again.

He grabs my arm, stopping me, “I was with her because I thought…”

“You thought what?

“You walked out on me.” He says bluntly, “You were acting like nothing ever happened and I took that as your final answer.”

“But–”

“I was trying to forget you for at least one night.” He cuts me off softly, looking straight into my eyes and deeper still. “I might have been trying to make you jealous… I don’t know.” He reaches out and brushes a strand of hair away from my face as I stare at him, frozen yet entranced by his voice. “I’m sorry. I know I told you I would wait for you… I guess I can’t keep promises, huh?” he finally murmurs.