The Platonic Permutation Correlation Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

Sheldon will never be good at detecting people's feelings through their tone. He didn't realize how broken her voice was when she responded. Not wanting to discuss the matter of getting back together any further, he said, "Good. Oh, I watched a video of the hagfish producing mucus, so I'm gonna change my answer and eat SpongeBob."

"Okay. Sure," was all she can say.

Sheldon was relieved that she wasn't saying more about her attempt at being his girlfriend again. It wasn't until he heard a sniff that he realized she was crying. He wanted to say something but before he even ask to confirm is she was crying, she told him she needs to go because it's getting late and she still has a while to drive. The line disconnected. Leonard and Penny were looking at him with sad eyes; pitying eyes. He didn't need that. He got up and said, "I'm retiring for the night. Happy thanksgiving." He made his way to his room.

Meanwhile, Amy was finding it harder and harder to breathe because of the tears that she was fighting back. When she felt that it was too much that she couldn't drive anymore, she pulled the car to the side of the road and finally broke down. She didn't know what to expect when she decided to tell Sheldon that she wants to be his girlfriend again so she didn't anticipate the biggest rejection she could ever get from him. She leaned her head on the steering wheel and cried for a good thirty minutes before she could compose herself enough to drive the rest of her way home.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It was late but he couldn't sleep. Sheldon was staring at his ceiling, thinking about the events of the day. A couple of months ago, if Amy had offered to get back together with him, he would have accepted right away. What was wrong with him? He loves her. He's in love with her. She's the only woman he's ever loved. So what on earth is going on in his head that he rejected her so easily? He was getting frustrated. She was crying. He didn't need to ask to know that she was crying before she hung up. Haven't you hurt her, enough already? So much for being a genius, What the hell are you doing, Sheldon Lee Cooper?! he screamed in his head.

His message tone sounded and he looked at his phone on his night stand. Please let that be Amy, he hoped. It was a message from Vanessa.

Hi Sheldon. I hope you had a good Thanksgiving celebration. I had fun with my family; I didn't realize how much I've missed them. Hope to see you soon. xo

He was suffering from a headache at this point from having too many thoughts at the same time. He sighed and closed his eyes. Let go, he thought as he pressed on the call button.

"Hello? Why are you still up?" she asked, surprised that he called.

"I should be asking you the same question," he replied, forcing his tone to sound livelier.

"Well, you know how Texas gatherings go. My folks invited a few people over and the celebration went a little longer than expected. So here I am, just now getting into bed," she explained.

"Do you want to go to sleep now?" he asked.

"I could spare a few minutes. What's up?" she replied. When he didn't answer after a minute, she knew something was wrong, so she continued. "You want to talk about it?"

He was a bit surprised that Vanessa could tell that something was not right with him, but he didn't really want to share what happened. He wanted to clear his mind right now. He wanted a distraction.

"Did you know that when the telephone was invented, 'Ahoy' was the first choice for when someone answers a call?" he asked.

"Interesting. I think I like the sound of that. Ahoy," she responded. She realized that he didn't want to say anything about what was bothering him. If all he wants is a friend to talk to, she'll be more than happy to be of service.

"I do, too. I'm kind of upset that it didn't catch on,"

"Did you know that a group of crows is called a murder?" she asked.

"No. That's interesting... and fitting, given what crows have been deemed by most people," he said. He was starting to feel a little lighter; his headache was becoming more tolerable.

"I know, but crows aren't that bad,"

"You're talking to a man who has ornithophobia, so I wouldn't know," he retorted.

"How many phobias do you have?" she asked, intrigued and concerned at the same time.

"Quite a few, actually."

She giggled and they were quiet for a few minutes.

"Are you okay, Sheldon?" she asked, careful not to make him feel like she was prying.

"No," was all he said.

"I see," she dismissed.

Neither talked for a while, just listening to each other's breathing over the phone. Vanessa decided to do something that her father would always do to him when she was sad or not feeling well when she was younger.

"Smile though your heart is aching, smile even though it's breaking" she started the song.

Sheldon felt his chest tighten a little. The words of her song getting through him.

"When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by; If you smile through your fear and sorrow

Smile and maybe tomorrow; You'll see the sun come shining through for you" she continued.

It wasn't until Sheldon felt wetness on the outside of his ears that he realized he was crying. The tears kept rolling down the sides of his face when he listens to Vanessa.

"Light up your face with gladness

Hide every trace of sadness

Although a tear may be ever so near

That's the time you must keep on trying

Smile, what's the use of crying?

You'll find that life is still worthwhile

If you just smile"

He sniffed, and Vanessa realized he was crying. She wanted to stop, but she didn't know what she would say if she did, so she continued singing.

"That's the time you must keep on trying

Smile, what's the use of crying?

You'll find that life is still worthwhile

If you just smile"

"My dad used to sing that to me a lot when I was a kid," she told him.

"You have a nice voice," he said.

"Thank you. I think so too," she said, smiling at her own remark. Despite himself, Sheldon felt the side of his lips pulling into a smile, as well.

"Vanessa,"

"Yes?"

"When are you coming back?"

"My flight is tonight at 8, so early Saturday morning."

"Will you go to the zoo, with me?"

"When?"

"How about lunch time, Saturday?"

"Okay. Sure,"

"I should let you sleep now. Thank you for taking my call,"

"Are you feeling better?" she asked, hoping that she was able to lessen whatever it was that was keeping him down.

"I am. Have a good night, Vanessa," he said.

"You too, Sheldon."

"Oh, Vanessa, wait," he called, before she could hung up.

"Yes?" she asked, curious of what he needed to say.

"Happy thanksgiving," he said, sounding a little sheepish. Vanessa just laughed and they ended the call. A few minutes later, sleep finally came for Sheldon.