“Hey, Mitch,” I said, smiling back.  “What are you doing here?”

“I’m here with Zack and the guys.  I figured you’d be here with your friends,” he said.  “Everyone could practically hear Caroline screaming about it this morning.”

“So what’s up?” I asked. 

“Uh, I just wanted to ask if you wanted to go to prom with me,” he said.  “So will you?”

I sighed.  “You know we never go with dates,” I said.

Mitch grinned and tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear.  “Can’t you break that just this once?” he asked.  “You know you want a date.  It’s your senior prom.”

“Mitch, I’m not going with a date,” I said.  “I will promise to save you a dance, though, if you want.”

He smiled, nodding.  “That sounds like a plan,” he said.  “But I expect more than just one.”

I laughed.  “Okay, fine,” I said.  “But only because it’s you.”

Mitch leaned down and kissed my cheek.  I had a hard time not cringing because Kane’s face popped into my mind. 

“Thanks, Reece,” he said.  “I’ll see you at school tomorrow.”

I waved as he started walking away.  “Bye.”

Sighing, I turned back toward the rack and just grabbed the first dress that I found in my size to try on. 

When I walked into the dressing room, Caroline, Emma, and Pax all simultaneously walked out, each in dresses that I knew they didn’t like.

“Next,” they all said together with a laugh.

Caroline looked at me and the red dress in my hand.  “You finally found something?” she asked.

I shrugged as I went into one of the dressing rooms beside them.  “I just picked one,” I said, hanging it up and closing the door.  “We’ll find out if it’s anything good.”

After I took off my clothes and slipped the satin fabric over my head, I zipped up the zipper on the side and looked at myself in the mirror.

This was totally it.

The red dress was strapless with a sweetheart neckline and beading on the bust.  It flowed all the way to the floor and had a slit going up one side all the way to the middle of my thigh.  I absolutely loved it.

“Come out, Reece,” Pax said.  “Let’s see it.”

When I stepped out of the dressing room, all three of their jaws dropped. 

“God, why do you always randomly pick something and it looks absolutely gorgeous on you?” Caroline said, putting her hands on her hips while standing there in her poofy blue dress.  “You’re not even going to have to have it altered a little!”

“I don’t know but I’m totally getting this one,” I said, looking at myself in the one-eighty mirror at the end of the hallway of dressing rooms. 

“I’m getting this one,” Pax said, coming up behind me in a one shoulder, emerald green dress that looked absolutely amazing on her.  Then again, everything always.

I laughed.  “Looks like we’re going to a Christmas party,” I said, looking at our red and green dresses in the mirror.

She laughed again and wiggled her eyebrows.  “You know, he’s going to love it,” she said quietly so Caroline and Emma couldn’t hear.