Chapter 28

"So what do we do?"

"Long story short, I go into the wall, where I can blow a hole in this wall. Then, you and I climb out, run, and you're free."

I knit my eyebrows together. "I can guarantee that it won't be that easy."

"Probably not," Scott sighed. "But we can try!"

"Wait," I said hesitantly. "I want my stuff."

"Stuff?"

"Yes. I have emotional attachments."

"Seriously, Cara?"

"Yes. I know where SHIELD keeps confiscated stuff at this compound. With you I can be in and out in a minute."

Scott put his hands on his hips and glared at me. "They told me to not let you get me off topic."

"I'm not leaving without my stuff," I snapped, sitting back down on the cot. "And if you're not gonna help me get my stuff, you can leave."

"Cara, please," Scott whined. "I can't have four Avengers pissed at me because I let you make this more complicated than it needed to be."

"Well it's already pretty complicated."

He sighed loudly again. "Fine. You tell me what to do. If you take more than five minutes, we're done and I'm blowing whatever I need to up in order to get you out of here alive. Am I clear?"

I stood up and smiled at him. "Thank you, Scott. It'll be quick, I swear."

"Alright, alright, what do you want me to do?"

"Umm, hold on," I thought for a moment and looked around the cell. "Do you have a piece of paper or anything in that fancy little suit of yours?"

"Yeah, hold on." He unzipped a pocket on his thigh and pulled out a Post-it note and a small pencil.

I took it eagerly, drawing a small box in the upper left hand corner.

"Okay, we're here. You're gonna use your little suit thing to go into the air duct," I drew a line from the box downwards and drew a small circle. "You're gonna reach a grate over a hallway marked sector 3C. Drop down in there, make sure it's clear, then go to the panel on the wall. I'll be waiting by the door, you disarm the security system and I'll be out." I drew another line, this time to the right of the box. "Then we go down this hallway for a few feet and into the room on the left. I go in, get my stuff, and we go out through the fire exit right next to it."

Scott looked down in awe. "How do you know this place so well?"

I shrugged. "When Tony first had it converted into the Avengers Facility I wandered around it for days. I knew it like the back of my hand within a week."

"Impressive."

"Thanks," I nodded. "So, how does your whole suit thing work? Do you like scramble your body's molecules so that they reconvene where you want them to?"

"Uh, sort of," he said, putting his mask back over his face. "I shrink."

"What?"

"I'm getting the forcefield down, be at the door in a minute!"

As soon as the words left his mouth, Scott pressed something on the gloves of his suit, and he disappeared before my eyes. I heard a small pinging noise, then the familiar sound of the forcefield being disabled. I ran across the room and up the stairs to the door, my ankle still hurting from the previous night's fall. I crouched next to the door and began counting in my head, waiting for Scott to hold up his end of the bargain. Moments later, the door slid open and light flooded through the doorway. I squinted, looking around for Scott.