Chapter 23

I exited the elevator and entered complete silence. The living room was completely empty, as was the kitchen. The knot in my stomach grew tighter.

"Hello?" I called, stepping closer to the couch and looking around again. "Tony? Steve? Buck?"

I heard someone on the stairs behind me, and turned around quickly. Tony stood at the top of them, glaring down at me. He had dark circles under his eyes, his face was sunken, and I'd never seen him look at me with so much hatred.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He growled.

I started walking toward the stairs as he began coming down.

"Hi," I said quietly.

"Hello."

"Uh, where's Pepper?"

"Shanghai," he said shortly.

I hesitated and picked at my fingernail. "Did you finish the suit?"

He nodded. I sighed heavily at his attitude and folded my arms.

"Tony, what is going on? Why are there paparazzi outside? Where the hell is everyone?!" I cried.

"That's a nice bracelet," he said sharply. "Did your boyfriend give it to you?"

A lump formed in my throat and I glanced down at the gold chain around my wrist. I touched it insecurely; I hadn't taken it off since Bucky gave it to me.

"Tony, what's going on?" I repeated.

"Things changed. People changed."

"What the hell are you talking about? Where's Steve?"

He snorted and started walking towards the kitchen. "I should be asking you. Your little friends are considered vigilantes, Cara."

My heart almost stopped in my chest and my eyes widened. "What? Tony, what the hell did you do?!"

"I didn't do anything!" He yelled. "That thing Steve brought in here did!"

"Did you just call Bucky a thing?!" I roared.

"Oh, sorry, didn't mean to offend your fuck buddy."

I flinched at his words and hesitated slightly. "What are you talking about?"

Tony put his hands on the kitchen counter and hung his head. "You know what happened a few days after you left, Cara? I was going through some old transfer files, and I came across a certain one that caught my eye. And I read it and re-read it for hours to make sure I hadn't screwed up. So then I went to Steve and confronted him, and told him what I found. I told him that I knew who killed Mom and Dad. It was Bucky," he said, slowly getting angrier and angrier. "And I said, I need to tell Cara, she's gonna be crushed. And he was silent. And then I figured it out, you already knew."

"Tony," I said quietly. "Please-"

"So then I'm trying to think of why you would still spend so much time with him when you know he's why you're an orphan," he cut you off loudly. "And I figured it out. You're sleeping with him."

"Tony, you need to understand it wasn't like-"

"Deny it then!"

I hesitated. "I can't."

"Jesus Christ, Y/N!" He yelled, his hands flying into the air. "How could you look at him, hell, have sex with him knowing he killed your parents?! He's a monster!"