I blinked at him, not sure whether to dive into the whole "you liked me for ages and never said anything" thing, but I couldn't figure out what to say, so I didn't say anything.

I was saved the awkwardness of changing the subject by the sound of Mason's bedroom door opening again; we had neglected to shut the one to Danny's room and when he spotted us from the living room, laying half-naked and heads together on the bed, he made a face and called, 'Jeez, guys, come on,' which lightened the tension as we both laughed and hauled ourselves back up.

Abby went and settled herself - clothed in one of Mason's dress shirts that she had to have pulled out of the back of his wardrobe - by the kitchen island, obviously expecting something in the way of breakfast, and I climbed up beside her while Mason and Danny fixed us all some cereal.

I saw Danny glancing warily at Mason every now and then, like he was expecting some kind of reproach, but Mason didn't say anything except to eventually snap, 'Just say it, dude,' as they set our breakfasts down and sat on stools on either side of us.

'I'm sorry I hooked up with your little brother,' Danny stated flatly. 'And I'm sorry that I'm probably gonna do it again.'

I smirked and snorted, feeling a rush of something in the pit of my stomach that I did my best to ignore because even though it felt good, it was also kind of scary.

Mason tried to look disapproving but Abby nudged him with her elbow and he grinned. 'Whatever, dude. If you'll remember, I encouraged this from the very beginning.'

This was news to me. 'What?' I asked, looking between them suspiciously. 'Expand on that, please.'

Mason opened his mouth and took a breath to respond but Danny quickly interrupted him, changing the subject. 'So we've got a whole week off,' he observed; the party the previous night had been the opening celebration of spring break and there were eight glorious days left before any of us had to go back to school or, in my case, work. 'What do you guys have planned?' He directed this to Abby.

She wrinkled her nose. 'Ugh,' she said. 'That's the annoying thing. Wren and I had been planning since September to go to Miami for the week. Obviously that's not happening anymore.'

I choked on my cornflakes as Mason stared resolutely down into his. 'Wren?' I demanded. 'Your ex is named after a small bird?'

I knew Abby was trying to remain neutral, but I caught the quirk of her lips as she tried not to smile. 'He is,' she confirmed.

'That's hilarious,' I declared, trying to distract her before she noticed Mason's hangdog expression, but I failed.

'Aw,' she said, reaching out and catching him by the chin, forcing his head up to face her. 'Don't be jealous. I like you now.'

This seemed to panic Mason more than reassure him, and she laughed again.

'You waited an awfully long time for me,' she announced, slipping back down off of her stool and putting her bowl in the sink, before slinking back towards Mason's bedroom. 'I intend to make it fully worth your while.'

'Uh...' Mason stammered before hopping back down onto the floor as well. With a glance at us he mumbled, 'I think I know what I'm doing for spring break,' and trotted obediently after her.

I slid my glance sideways at an amused Danny. 'How long has Mason been waiting for her?' I asked, like I needed reminding. I saw him gulp, knowing where I was going.

'About a year and a half.'

'Huh,' I said. 'I wonder what would make a year and a half worth it. I wonder what would make twice that long worth it.'