Chapter 1

I just moved from Texas to California with my family. It's scary when you move from one state to another, but I guess i'm going to have to get used to it, since it's for my dad's job. When I left, I was already finishing 9th grade, so luckily at my new school, I won't be in the middle of starting 10th grade.

"So, do you like it?" Mom asked, as we walked into our new house.

"It's alright," My older brother sighed, putting a box down, "Our old home was better though."

"Come on Lucas, at least pretend you like it. Be happy for your father at least." She looked at him, but all he did was roll his eyes, and go to help bring in more boxes.

"Elena, you like it right?" She smiles, hoping my answer might be a little better.

"Yes mom, I do." But that was a lie too.

"Good," She believes me, "I'll let you go pick out your room then." I don't even hesitate, grabbing a box full of my stuff, as I run upstairs. I find the second biggest room, with a good view of the neighborhood, and a ceiling fan.

"I hate you," I hear Luke growl, seeing I already claimed this room, forcing him to have the smallest one. "I'm older, shouldn't I get this one?"

"Nope," I push him out, "You snooze you loose." I run back downstairs to grab the rest of my stuff. Dad was talking to a very tall guy, probably one of our neighbors.

"Oh Elena, meet Mychal Thompson, they live right across the street from us." He introduced me.

I give a polite smile, "Nice to meet you sir," He shakes my hand, towering over.

"He has three sons, one your age too, so you might have him in some of your classes," Dad continues, "He has invited us over for dinner, so you will get a chance to meet them."

"Oh cool, well its nice to meet you sir, excuse me while I finish packing, See you tonight." I smile, he seemed impressed by my kind manners. Now I was stuck trying to find an outfit for tonight. Since half of my stuff was in boxes, it's time to put some music on and do a little searching around. I finally found a pair of skinny jeans and a cute floral top, with some flats, since i'm already so tall, 5'9.

I took a quick shower, Luke was banging on the door to hurry up, but that made me want to take my time, just to piss him off. "Finally, man what were you doing in there?" He snapped, as I came out with a smirk on my face. By the time I was done with the last of my hair, it was already time to go. The walk wasn't far, since they were across the street.

"Hello," A woman with straight brown hair and olive skin opened the door, "Welcome, my name is Julie Thompson. Please, come in." She took the wine that my mother brought, as I introduced myself, "Such a pretty young girl," She gushed, "You have some gorgeous eyes, I can see you take after your father." She seriously is so sweet.

I said hello to Mychal again, then seeing three very tall boys standing near him. They all looked a lot like Julie, but had their dad's height.

"Boys," Mychal spoke, "Meet the Pinto's, Manuel and his wife Diana, their son Lucas, and daughter Elena. I'd like you to meet my oldest, Mychel, Klay, and Trayce." I gave each of them a polite smile, dad going to shake their hands.

"Please take a seat, dinner should be ready any minute now," Julie said, while going in and out of the kitchen. I was in between Luke and Trayce, as Julie began to place all sorts of foods on the table. My mouth watered when her lasagna smell hit my nose.

"So Elena, what do you like to do in your free time?" Julie asked, trying to start up a conversation. I really hate when all the attention is on me, but I answer anyway.

"Well, I love to do the basics, read, draw, listen to music. But sometimes I would volunteer down at an animal shelter back when we lived in Texas." I squeeze the napkin that sat on my lap.

"That's wonderful, I love animals too." She takes a sip of her wine.

"Mrs.Thompson, this lasagna is just amazing," Luke spoke, which surprised me since he usually is antisocial.

"Please call me Julie, but save some room for dessert, hope you like red velvet cake." How did she know, I love red velvet cake!

"So Klay, how is the school? Since you and Elena will be in the same grade." Dad looks over at Klay, who also seemed to hate the attention.

"Well sir," He clears his throat, "I personality like it, I think the teachers are great, and the sport teams are good."

"That's nice to hear, so do you play any sports?" He wipes his mouth.

Klay nods, "Yes I am on the basketball team." Hmm..basketball? I mean he is tall, so he has that advantage I should say.

"How is the football team, since i'm thinking about trying out." Lucas asked, since he was on the team back in Texas. They continue talking about sports and what teams they like and dislike. Turns out, they have alot in common.

After dinner, we have dessert, and the cake was the best part, since it was so good.

"You want a second piece don't you?" I hear Klay ask, since I was eyeing the cake like a vulture.

"Maybe," I reply flatly, causing him to lightly laugh.

"Then grab one," He goes and cuts another piece for himself, licking the icing off his finger.

I finally give in, since the craving was to strong.

After that, we said our goodbyes and thank yous, as we headed home, since I had school tomorrow. Since Mychel, Klay's older brother, drives, he offered to pick me up.

I pick my outfit out for school, then heading to bed since I wanted to feel fresh in the morning, and not so groggy. Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day.

-

I get up bright and early, Mychel was already outside waiting for me, as I grabbed my bag and headed out. I was a little nervous about riding to school with them, since I just met them yesterday.

"So Elena," Mychel looks at me through the front mirror, "What was Texas like?"

I nervously play with my hands, "Beautiful, It was my home town, so I miss it very much. But i'm starting to like California a lot too."

He nods, while making a turn, "So how's basketball?" I ask Klay, who was sitting up front.

"Good, we got a game next week, if you would like to come." We stop at a light.

"Yea maybe," We finally arrive, Klay helping me by showing me around once I got my schedule, and I was in luck since we had first period together. It was math, a subject I happen to be really good at, so I wasn't that nervous.

"My name is Mr.Roger, welcome to Algerbra 2," A short man with glasses spoke, "Pick a seat and stay there." Right away I knew he was strict. Klay and I sat in the back, he was on my right. Class went by fast, since all we really did was go over rules and what things we will be going over this semester.

"So how was it? Did you throw up?" Mychel teased, school was finally over.

I laugh at his comment, Klay playfully pushing him, "Shut up man, we ain't in elementary school." But he started to laugh.

Once I got home, Luke was already digging through the fridge, taking out anything he could fine. "Sup punk, how was it?" He had a handful of meats and cheeses.

"Fine, see you later, I got homework." I walk up to my room, hearing him call my name.

"Homework? On the first day?" Truth is I actually didn't, I just wanted to get away from him.

I sit on my bed, just thinking about life, until my phone buzzes.

It was Klay. That's odd...I never gave Klay my number.