[ C h a p t e r - O n e ]

Start from the beginning

“Can you please bring me to my next class?” Jonah inquired. I realized that we were the only ones left in classroom and Mr. Gonzales was watching us intently. He's probably expecting me to be a good citizen. Well, you're in for a surprise, Mr. G. Right as I was about to stomp on Jonah's request and bury it six feet under the ground, Mr. G cut me off.

“You’d love to, right Ms. Harp?” he asked me, sending me a threatening look that practically screamed detention; I forced a smile before nodding and grabbing Jonah’s forearm in a death grip.

When we got out of the classroom and out of Mr. G’s hearing range, I let go of his forearm, wiping my palm on my jeans. “Find your next class yourself," I muttered.

“That’s not nice, Savannah,” Jonah mocked as I turned and started walking towards my own class.

“I never said I was nice,” I snapped over my shoulder.

***
I was thankful when it was lunch time; I could finally be away from students and an aggravating teacher for 30 whole minutes. When I got into the lunch line, I quickly bought my food and made my way through the cafeteria.

Word of the new boy had spread rather quickly. Instead being elated by his presence, I was irritated. Another thing spread rather quickly too; the fact that he actually sat next to me by choice. We rarely get new kids in our school, probably because no one wants to move into our town because it's a scientifically proven fact that once you're here- you're here to stay. People rarely get out of this town. But I can assure you that I will be among the few that do make it out. 

I heard footsteps behind me and I prayed it wasn’t him. The stares I was getting intensified and I knew it was him. “Hi, Savannah," Jonah greeted as if we were long time friends. 

“What?” I growled, not bothering to hide my annoyance. I exited the cafeteria and walked out into the courtyard, not bothering to hold the door if he was following me.

“Somebody left their manners at home,” Jonah smirked as he followed me to the picnic table that I ate at every day.

I sat down and stared up at him; he involuntarily shivered. Despite his obvious lack of heat, he sat down across from me. “How do you eat out here? It’s f-freezing.”

I motioned to the jacket I had on and he nodded. “You can always go inside and eat. Nobody said that you had to follow me out here like a lost puppy,” I told him as I rolled the sleeves of my jacket up in order to eat.

“I don’t know anybody else," he managed to control his chattering teeth.

“You could always try talking to people. I’m sure they’d like you,” I retorted, biting into my sandwich.

“And you don’t?” he questioned me with a smile. I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Am I that see through?” I told him with a flat look.

“Who is that?” his eyes were fixated on something behind me. I turned around and saw Jeffrey Shaw walking into the cafeteria. The guy was a walking train; it’s a safety hazard just being in the vicinity of the boy. I'm actually scared for my life at this very moment.

“Why? Are you gay?” I asked, looking back at him. He shook his head as he watched the guy.

“He’s a walking rock. Wonder what he’s having for lunch, steroids maybe?” he snorted.

“He’s a football player,” I explained.

“That explains absolutely nothing. You don’t have to look like a rock to be a football player,” he replied, watching as Jeffrey entered the cafeteria. "I wonder if Patrick Star lives under him." 

“You also don’t have to be a wimp,” I snorted, looking at Jonah. I ignored his remark about Spongebob Squarepants. How old is this kid? Seven?

“Who are you talking about?” he asked, looking around him.

“You, your arms are spaghetti,” I told him and he rolled his eyes.

“I am not. I go to the gym 6 times a week,” he replied and I shook my head, rolling my eyes.

“I’ll believe it when I see it,” I responded on instinct.

“You want to see me sweating and shirtless?” he asked, eyebrows furrowed together.

“I see naked spaghetti boil all the time,” I replied and he smirked even wider.

“You want to see me naked and in a hot tub?” he asked as his eyebrows shot up.

“No, that’s disgusting,” I shuddered. He smirked before frowning.

“So when are you going to give me a real phone number?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“That was a real phone number- my brother's,” I told him and he nodded.

“Your brother has a colorful vocabulary; I don’t think he likes me much,” he bit his lip. I just shrugged.

“He was probably just cranky," I suggested.

“At 10 at night?” he raised an eyebrow.

“He goes to college and work, so he has to go to sleep early and wake up early,” I replied, biting into my apple.

“He’s not going to beat me up for talking to you, right?” he asked, one eyebrow higher than the other.

“No, but no promises with me,” I told him.

You’re going to beat me up?” he snorted.

“You’d be surprised,” I told him. He shook his head, a smile on his lips.

“You’re so beautiful that you give the sun a reason to shine,” he sighed.

“The sun isn’t out,” I glared at him and he smirked.

“Exactly,” he rejoined. I kicked him under the table. He groaned as I stood up and walked into the cafeteria, tossing my trash into the nearest can. I began walking towards the exit when I saw Jonah walking in, his books under his arm. He smirked at me, something he seems to do very often.

“Jeffrey Shaw!” I called out and the guy looked at me, confusion clear on his face. “He said you’re a walking rock who takes steroids!” I called out whilst pointing in Jonah's direction and Jeffrey turned to look at the new boy who was now walking towards me at an alarming speed.

“I don’t take steroids!” Jeffrey called, starting to run after Jonah. I'm guessing that's something the jock gets often.

“Help!” Jonah nearly screeched, grabbing my arm as he ran past me.

Okay, so maybe my plan backfired.

Okay, it did backfire.

A steroid obsessed senior is now chasing me and Jonah through the hallways. In the words of Jonah: help

+++
A large thanks to Shalaylabayla for the amazing graphic to the side. She makes amazing covers!