Hogsmeade Revelations

Harry was stuck in the hospital wing for a few days after his fall, to ensure that he was ok. Nothing was broke but Madam Pomfrey can sometimes be over protective. Classes continued without him, and either Hermione or I would take down detailed notes for him so he could keep up with the assignments.

                The day he was released we began our study of Hinkypunks, which are one legged creatures made of a wispy blue smoke. They hang out in swampy like areas and lure traveler’s further into the bog never to be heard from again. The boys laughed them off, while the girls were wearier of their dangers giving Professor Lupin mixed signals about how the lesson went.

                Two weeks into December and the weather was still horrible. The rain and storms persisted all through November, and wasn’t until the 13th of December that it gave way to dazzling white snow. So the next day, the first visit to Hogsmeade was a beautiful walk trudging through ankle deep snow.

                “Ready for the trip?” I asked as I bounded down the stairs wearing my favorite purple cloak over the sweater Mrs. Weasley had made for me last Christmas, a pair of black slacks and black steel-toed combat boots. “It’s nice that Dumbledore lets us out this close to Christmas so we can purchase our gifts.”

                “Someone is awfully cheery this morning.” Ron said as he came down the boys’ stairs rubbing sleep from his eyes. Even though he seemed half asleep, he too was dressed and ready for the short walk into town.

                Harry sat looking solemnly into the fire, he was dressed but was not wearing a cloak. As I went to join him I thought he was going to be pretty cold while we were out and about. I was getting ready to ask where his cloak was when I remembered that he couldn’t go. His evil aunt and uncle, Muggles, refused to sign the permission slip after he accidently engorged his Aunt Marge. “Is there anything you would like us to pick up for you?”

                “No, I already sent off for your presents weeks ago. I could use a new quill though, maybe you could pick one up. If you don’t mind, I would appreciate it maybe next year my Uncle Vernon will sign my permission slip.” He said a little hopeful.

                Once Hermione came downstairs, we headed down to the great hall for a quick breakfast. Then gathered outside with the rest of the students to head into town. Harry came to see us off, then probably went back inside to brood about not being able to come with us.

                Hermione, Ron and I walked through the snow talking and admiring the scenery. The path was surrounded in tall pine trees on both sides, and up ahead you could make out the town getting bigger as we got closer. First the smoke rising from the chimneys, then the red and black chimneys themselves appeared. Then the dark thatched roofs peeking through holes where the snow had melted in different areas. As the stone and mortar buildings came into view, the pathway widened and gave way to cobblestone streets. It was so picturesque I had to stop and grab a quick picture before catching up with the scattering students.

                We decided to go to Zonko’s gift shop first, it was the closest and we wanted to warm up. Inside the place was exploding with gags, tricks and everything else the great pranksters could ever want. Next to the ever popular, but forbidden at school, fanged Frisbees were special carrier bags that were enchanted to hide anything you wanted and undetectable to finding spells. They came in maroon, green, yellow or blue. I picked up a maroon one for Fred and a green one for George, I hide them inside my own bag that I brought with me. Easier to sneak them inside the castle without Fred or George seeing them.

                Then we were off to the Quill and Parchment shop to pick up Harry’s new quill. I left Ron and Hermione on their way to Honey Dukes, so I could pick up a book for Hermione and matching scarves for my parents. I met them in the candy shop as they were deciding what to take back to Harry, so he didn’t feel entirely left out. They were in the “Unusual Tastes” sections looking at Cockroach Clusters and Blood flavored lollypops when I came up to them.