Secrets Come Out

In a matter of weeks Defense Against the Dark Arts became the most beloved class ever, though I was having problems because at least once a month we would have a substitute teacher for a couple of days as Uncle Remus was out “sick.”

                With his third disappearance act I decided to confront him one evening after supper. On my way to his office I ran into Fred who seemed to be following me.

                “We need to talk.” He said as he came from an adjacent corridor behind me. “Have you been avoiding me these past three months?”

                “Can we walk and talk? No I haven’t been avoiding you, I have been busy with homework and classes, the same as you.” I said as I started walking again.

                “I just figured since you like Neville you didn’t want to see me anymore.” He said matching my stride and staying right next to me.

                Caught off guard I stopped, “What do you mean I like Neville now? Aside from being a friend there is nothing between us.  On a different note you make it sound like we are dating, if that is the case I would have liked to have known about it.”

                “Well rumor has it, you kissed Neville in front of everyone during class. As for dating, I thought I made that apparent when I gave you that necklace you are wearing.”

                I chuckled and started walking again, “Dear Fred, that kiss you are so worried about was just a congratulatory peck on the cheek. Snape always gives him trouble in class and the poor guy is terribly afraid of him. During class he was asked to face a boggart that turned into Snape, while Professor Snape was in the room. He faced down his fear and won, I was simply congratulating him on a job well done as well as putting Snape in his place. You can’t fault me for that can you?”

                Looking relieved he grabbed my arm and pulled me into a hug. “I’m sorry I jumped to conclusions. I just hadn’t talked to you in a while and thought the worst, forgive me?”

                I looked up at his big brown eyes and bushy red hair, “Yes of course. Now about this dating matter. I wasn’t for sure if we were or not, because you never said anything and during school you act like we don’t know each other. Mixed signals means mixed results.”

                “Ok, Miss Loretta Saint will you go out with me?” He asked as he ran his hand through my hair as he looked down at me. “I ever tell you, you have beautiful eyes?”

                “I think that is the first compliment you have given me. Yes I will, and don’t worry the next time I spontaneously kiss someone that isn’t you I will tell you as quickly as I can. Ok?”

                “Ok, just don’t go making a habit out of it. Let’s go back to the common room we can catch up on everything we’ve missed.” He said trying to pull me down the way we came.

                “You go on, I have something I need to do first. I will meet you there when I am done then we can catch up.” I gently pulled my hand out of his.

                “I will see you later then.” He waved goodbye and we headed our separate ways. Running out of time, I morphed into a black kitten and sprinted the rest of the way to Uncle Remus’ office. I was about to change back when Snape stepped out holding a goblet and walked down the hall ignoring me as he passed.

                I quickly jumped through the door before it shut and heard growling noises coming from behind the desk. I stepped forward but stopped suddenly as I heard nails scratching against the stone floor, then something stood up, it was half man half animal. “Loretta?” It asked sounding oddly familiar.

                “U-uncle Remus? Is that you? What happened? What did Snape do to you?” He didn’t answer me, but lunged for me instead. I scrambled backwards just as a big black dog jumped in front of me from now where.

                I could feel myself changing back, even though I didn’t mean to. “What’s going on? Uncle Remus? Hello?” I said allowed once I was back to normal.

                “Loretta is it? Everything is all right, I need you to leave right now. Forget what you saw and go.” The black dog had shifted into a very thin, sallow looking man with long black hair. He looked like skin and bone, I knew I had seen him before but I couldn’t place it.

                “Sirius? Is that you? It has been so long since I’ve seen you. No offense but you look horrible.” I said but don’t know how or why. If this is Sirius, how did I know it was him? I have never met him but feel like I’ve known him my whole life.

                “Loretta? I have never met you, you need to get out of here.” He said as he held the creature at bay, though it was trying very hard to get past him and get to me.

                “I’m not Loretta at the moment. I can’t explain, but you are in more danger here than I am. He recognizes me as his blood. Severous gave him a potion that will render him harmless in a few minutes. You need to get out of here before you are caught!” How am I not me? How do I know this? Am I right? Is that Uncle Remus? “What is going on?” I asked shocked, I didn’t mean to say that out loud. “Oh no, she is getting stronger, she is supposed to be passed out. Sirius I have to go, get out before someone sees you.” I quickly left the room then everything goes black. I wake up at the foot of the entrance to the Gryffindor common room, not remembering how I got there or what happened after I left Fred in the corridor. I looked up at the portrait and saw four slashes across the page that looks like an animal mauled it.