"the sound..."

"Well, well. Look who needs my help."

"Hush," Zhuri laughs, as the wind blows through her twist-out, the windows down in the 'Stang. "I don't need your lip today, silly."

Taj laughs aloud. "I'm just glad you grabbed me for this. Can you believe this? Yo, I'm for real for real boutta' be an uncle, ZuZu."

"I know, man," and she grins fondly up at him. "I'm mad Asha couldn't come."

"We can FaceTime her," he nods. "She's pissed she can't come, too."

"Aw, Taj," she laughs. "Look at you tryna' be an adult, little boy."

"Little? Girl, I ain't been little since the 5th Grade."

Zhuri laughs loudly. "Taj, you didn't grow until your junior year--"

"What?"

"--So, stop playing."

"You're fake," he exclaims, pushing her against the window. "You don't know shit, ZooPal."

"Ugh--That fucking nickname."

He grins. And then his grin falls.

"What?" Zhuri asks, immediately noting his change in demeanor. "What's going on, TJ?"

"That just...reminded me. I talked to Nana today."

Zhuri's frowning now. "Yeah?"

"She wants you to call her."

"She alright? I called the other day but she was sleep..."

"She just said," he begins, "that she wants you to give her a call," he shrugs. "That's it. I've got nothing else to say 'bout it, ya feel? I'm just being the message man. I'm telling you what she told me."

And Zhuri is almost grateful for the texts she starts receiving, because it takes her mind from the worry and anxiety suddenly spiked at the mention of her grandma.

Would you mind picking me up?

She groans.

And like that, he texts her again.

Love you too :)

"What?" Taj frowns. "What's up?"

"Zayn," she says. "He needs a ride."

"He still not driving?"

"Still," Zhuri nods.

"Damn," and he laughs. "Yeah I'll get your man. It's on the way, right?"

"I mean..." She shrugs. "And he's not--"

"Whatever. You don't know," and he chuckles as she punches his shoulder. "I hope he knows he's coming with us to the hospital, though. This ain't Uber. I don't drive for Lyft..." He grins. "Unless he wants to tip."

"TJ," Zhuri begins, "don't you dare."

___

"Hey," Zayn grins as he slides into the Mustang. "Thanks for the ride, mate."

"No problem," Taj grins. "Anything for one'a ZuZu's friends."

"Aw," Zayn coos, leaning forward to squeeze Zhuri's shoulder. "You called me one'a your friends, babe."

She swats at him, "Shut up."

"Oh," Taj looks between them as they pull from the curb. "Wait...Y'all really aren't fuckin' anymore?"

"Whoa."

"Taj!"

"What?" He recoils as his older sister punches him repeatedly. "What? Damn, Zhuri! I'm just hearin' it from Mani!"'