1. Meeting Mr Fuentes

I was late. Oh god. How could I be late to my first day of school? My parents dropped me off late at my new boarding school  (single sex) and drove off, not caring how miserable I was to move schools. It didn’t matter, I was semi glad to be away from my parents and the chaos at home.

I was introduced to the principle and was then given a tour by a random teacher that worked here. I was really nervous to see the other kids and my room mate. I checked my timetable and sighed at my long day. After putting my stuff in my locker and grabbing the right books, I was told that I could move into my room after the school day.

I stood outside the door of my first class and took a few deep breaths. I fixed my straight black hair that fell just above my shoulders and cleared my throat. I knocked on the door, knowing that I’ll soon be welcome to stares and glares. The first thing I noticed was the teacher. He stood in front of me and I gotta admit he was attractive. He had deep chestnut coloured eyes and he was a little bit shorter than me. His hair fell was about the same length as mine and was silky brown and slightly wavy. He seemed to be quite young and I guessed that he was in his early twenties. His skinny yet muscular frame added to my attraction and I was knew for certain that I was going to enjoy English this year.

“You must be Kellin Quinn?” the teacher asked me. My heart beat faster as he pronounced my name, sending me thrills as he pronounced the syllables with such curiosity.

“That’s me.” I replied.

“I’m Mr Fuentes, you’re English teacher this year.” He told me with a smile. “Class, make Kellin feel welcome please.”

I looked at my class and was returned with bored expressions, the exception being the edgy looking kids in the back that looked like they wanted to bash me up. Well I’m certainly not going to sit next you guys.

I was sent to sit next to a good looking kid in the third row. He told me that his name was Justin. Short golden hair complimented his cute smile and I was just glad to make a friend. For the rest of the lesson we were taught on how to write an essay based on Pride and Prejudice which I hadn’t and wouldn’t read. I didn’t really listen to Mr Fuentes. I was just fascinated at watching the words fall out of his mouth and the thrill of his low voice. I wonder if he sings.

Finally the bell rung and students rushed out of the classroom. “Kellin, could I talk to you for a moment.” Mr Fuentes called out. I waited until the classroom cleared out and I ignored the looks that the shady kids gave me.

“Kellin, I’ve seen your files and it seems like you seem to be struggling with English,” he told me softly, his soft brown eyes searching mine. I loved the way he looked at me and I wished that I wouldn’t be so affected by his voice.

“Oh. That could be possible.” I replied with a sly grin.

Mr Fuentes looked up at me with a serious unemotional gaze, “I really hope your grades improve this year or you might have to repeat a year.”

“Well that’ll be fine as long as you’re the one teaching me.” I told him.

He looked at me absent-mindedly and I couldn’t believe I had just said that. I couldn’t help but be a bit cheeky; he was just so good looking.

“You can leave now Kellin.” He said, his pronunciation of my name sending chills up my spine.

“See you later, Sir.” I replied with a smile as I left the classroom.

-

Second period math went by quickly. I was introduced again as the new kid and I had a boring middle aged lady as the teacher. The school was starting to become less of a worry to me and I didn’t really mind that I didn’t have a lot of friends. I didn’t have a lot of friends at my old school and it was probably because I was such a sarcastic prick.

I had lunch alone but then again I didn’t mind. Classes flew by and soon it was the last class of the day. I trudged into the Literature classroom and guess who was my teacher. Mr Fuentes.

I noticed that he noticed me walk in but he didn’t say anything. I don’t understand why I have two classes of English based learning. But if that means seeing Mr Fuentes twice in a day then that was fine by me. He started blabbering on about the books that we were meant to read and then the class was set in a discussion about one of the books, ‘Romeo and Juliet.’ Everyone was conversed listening to Mr Fuentes and a guy talking about ‘Was Romeo and Juliet’s love real?’

“Of course they weren’t in love. The book was pretty much about two kids fuelled on lust for each other.” The blond haired guy said.

“How do you know it was lust?” Mr Fuentes prompted.

The blond looked at the teacher with his emerald green eyes and replied, “How do  you know it was love?”

The teacher nodded and said, “Touché. However how are we to judge on what they considered love back in their time?”

I scoffed quietly to myself, but apparently it wasn’t so quiet.

“Kellin? What are you views on this?” Mr Fuentes asked me, his eyes piercing mine.

Oh good one Kellin. I didn’t really think I just said whatever first popped up in my mind.

“I agree with the blond. The book is fuelled on lust and it’s so obvious that all Romeo wants is to have his dick in Juliet.” I said.

Half the class erupted in silent snickers and the other half looked shocked that I would say such a thing. Fuentes ignored my comment and continued with the discussion. Whatever. I felt like I was going to have so much fun with this teacher.