Tragedy Strikes The Colony

The sand is so warm, the water crystal clear, and the rhythmic sound of waves crashing on the shore. Periodically I have to dip down into the reef so I don't dry out. But it's no hassle. I love being around this little island. It has no population of land walkers. Only beautiful birds and butterflies. I don't know too much about the land world. Only what I've heard, learned from the elders, and experienced. We've found lots of ways to hide from our cousins. For years they've been hunting us down. Many have given up saying we no longer exist. They do not remember that long ago we all lived in the sea, until a rebel group fought against the orders of the Pearl elders. They were not to venture to the shores, but soon they started changing and were staying on land for long periods of time. It took centuries but they evolved to life on land. Today we no longer have Pearl elders. We had lost too many of our kind to the war. Even now that the war is over we still lose some to our cousin's nets and trash that fill our waters. Now we travel with packs of whales if we need to leave our villages to retrieve supplies that's not nearby. My village isn't far from this island and I'm in no trouble of being spotted by anyone or anything. Lots of shipwrecks happen around here so I usually find some neat land things.

         "Estelle! I knew you'd be here!" I sit up to see Reed's head poking out of the water.

         "Reed! Just the person I wanted to see! I have something I need your help with." I pull myself back into the water and start to swim to the reef surrounding the island. Reed follows.

        "It's down there in the rocks. I tried to pull it out but its stuck. I need you to help me get it." We swim down to the item that's sparkling caught my eye. It was a small chain with an object at the end, but it was stuck between some large rocks. He examines it closely and from all angles. Reed carefully tugs on the chain.

        "Help me try to move this rock a little and maybe we can get it out. I don't think I have any tools that would help us here." He looks in his pouch to check once more. "Alright let's get this treasure out" he smiles and grabs a hold of the smaller of the rocks. I got on the opposite side. He would pull and I would push.

        "Okay, Ready. One. Two. Three!" As he pulled I pushed. Almost swimming in place. No luck. "Let's try once more." He counted down and this time we both pulled. Pulling as hard as we can and I can feel it give a little. Reed keeps hold of the rock just in case while I try to pull out whatever it is I found. I pull on the chain gently and it catches a little so I wiggle it till it finally slips out of the crevice.

        "We got it!" I hold it up. It seems to be a pendent of some sort. The oval shaped metal has some kind of engraving design on both sides. Reed examined it too.

        "It's a nice find, but I did come to get you for a reason. Everyone has been called in for an emergency meeting. I came to get you before they noticed you were absent."

        "An emergency! What happened?"

        "I'm not sure. I haven't heard any word about it. So let's get back and find out." Reed starts swimming back. I slip the pendent over my head and follow. On the way back we have small races and jump with a pod of dolphins that we passed through. I jump out of the water twisting in the air over Reed, Whose silver scales glimmer and glisten in the sun camouflaging him. His scales help him blend in with the sun glimmering on the waters top. His only flaw, his light orange hair. I on the other hand don't have that camouflage. My scales are the color of rainbow mother of pearls and my hair long and silver.

Soon we come to the maze of coves and under water caves where our colony lives and hides. From the outside you wouldn't notice it. You have to know it's there and where to look. We enter the cove and head to the meeting area. Most of our colony is already waiting. Everyone is talking amongst each other sounding worried. Must be no one knows what we were called for. Soon The queen comes out and everyone falls silent. Right away you can tell that this is an urgent meeting. Her face serious looked as if it were carved from stone. Her beautiful blue tail and fins glistened. Her long golden hair swayed like seaweed. She slightly bowed her head as greeting.

        "I've called you here today to discuss an urgent matter. An illness has broke out in the colony and because of its rareness we only have so much medicine. We are trying to contain and control it. We have quarantined those who are sick. We ask that there be no visitors. We have also gathered those who have been in contact with the individuals recently." Murmurs broke out over the crowd. " Please, Everyone calm down. We have found a colony to the North by the cold sea. They have the medicine we need in abundance. We are looking for volunteers to take our goods to trade for the medicine and bring it back with haste. I will now list our deceased and then the list of the infected." Everyone talked quietly and listened to the list. She was half way through when I heard it. She said my sisters name. I look at Reed and he's as shocked as I am. I quickly race up to Queen Azure.

        "I volunteer to go to the cold sea colony to retrieve the medication." Reed is close behind me unsure but also volunteers.

        "Estelle and Reed. Are you sure you two can handle this journey? Of course there will be a few warriors accompanying you." We nod in agreement. "Your families will be informed. Be ready to leave by dark fall. You will be travelling with a pod of whales for half of the journey." Reed and I both nod and turn to go.

        "Estelle. What just happened? Why did we end up volunteering for this. We've never traveled that far from the colony before. Let alone to the cold sea. There are so many dangers out there." Reed was anxious, So was I. I couldn't turn this down though my sister was at risk and it gave me a chance to explore. I stopped fast and turned to face Reed. It was starting to hit me that my sister is at risk of dying.

         "Reed I have to do this! I need to help Lorna! She's young and I can't Sit by without doing something!" I bolt off to find my family and prepare to leave.