Part 13

“Sir, I can explain,” Charlie muttered, nervously. She had been summoned by an angry Dr. Lawrence to his office.

“There is no explanation, Dr. DeLanne!” he said, angrily. “I’d never have expect such behavior from you, a highly worthy scientist!”

“Doctor Lawrence, I did nothing!”

“We had your camera connected to our devices, Dr. DeLanne. We were monitoring your interactions with Michael, as we always have, and you know that. What were you thinking? Your interactions with Michael have gone too far!”

“Sir, Michael is responding in a way no one could have expected!” Charlie tried to defend herself. “He is more than a robot. The feelings he developed –”

“The feelings you have programed and installed in him!” he corrected him. “He is not human, Dr. DeLanne. He is a robot, made in a laboratory! If we delete his database, he will be as shallow as a seashell.”

“Michael is a miracle,” Charlie said passionately. “It started with an experiment, but we played God in this laboratory. We created something beyond our comprehension. I have been interacting with him, and I can tell –”

“No, Dr. DeLanne, you can’t tell! That is the point. If Michael is reacting in any way, it’s because he was programmed to do so. Every reaction, emotional or physical, was put there by us! He is not a miracle. He is a robot.”

Charlie did not reply; she looked down, respectfully, hoping her boss would somehow understand. He surely had seen the tapes. Michael’s reaction was beyond their expectations, beyond their plans.

“I’m sorry, Charlotte,” Dr. Lawrence said, with a sigh. “You are one of my most brilliant scientists, and I understand how it must be hard to leave a relationship as abruptly as you did. I know, I’ve been through it,” he looked at her almost fatherly, with a deep pain in his eyes. “But I cannot look away. I’m afraid you will not be allowed to interact with Michael anymore.”

“What?! No!” she exclaimed. “No, please, sir!”

“I have no other choice, I’m sorry.” He shook his head. “You can continue developing the programs and performing the diagnostics. But someone else will test him and interact with him.”

Charlie felt her eyes watering. “Please, Dr. Lawrence…”

“I’ve made my decision, Dr. DeLanne,” he said conclusively. “You can go for today.”

Dr. Lawrence turned his back to Charlie, and she had no other option but to leave. Feeling defeated, she walked away, trying to imagine her life without Michael. Michael, the only one who was able to tell what she liked; Michael, the one who had made her feel important and loved…

“Charlotte!” a male voice called. She looked hopefully, expecting it to be Michael, but she saw Dr. Gregory walking fast towards her.

“Ah… Hey, Walter,” she said, despondently.

“I heard about what happened,” he said. “And I’m sorry. Do you want to talk?”

“No, I don’t think so,” her miserable voice encouraged no argument.

“Do you really think he is real?”

“Yes.” Once again, the tears sprouted from her eyes. “I do.”

Dr. Gregory sighed. “I’m sorry, Charlotte. If there’s anything I can do…”

“No, it’s fine,” she said, ready to leave. Then, a sudden thought crossed her mind. “Wait! Can you tell me something?”

“Yes?”

“Who will interact with Michael now?”

“I don’t know. Dr. Lawrence is yet to appoint someone for that position.”

“I see,” she sighed. “But you will still interact with him, won’t you?”

“My interaction with him is minimal,” he explained. “I’m just the Mechanical Engineering guy. I just deactivate him when it’s needed and check his machinery.”

“It’s enough,” she said. “Please, I need you to give Michael something.”

“I don’t know, Charlotte,” he hesitated.

“Please… It’s just this time.”

Dr. Gregory could not bear to see Charlie’s pleading eyes. “Very well,” he sighed.  “What is it?”

“This.” She removed the necklace Mike had given her and gave it to Dr. Gregory. “Give it to him. Make sure no one catches you. Tell him to never show anyone or let anyone know about it.”

“Alright, I will,” he promised. “Now, go home, Charlotte. You need rest.”

“Thank you, Walter,” she took his hands and let the tears roll down her face. “Thank you.”

Charlie remembered the sweetness Michael always gave to the words “Thank you”, and started to sob. Life was not going to be the same without Michael.