Part 10

“You look distressed, Charlotte,” Michael observed. They were having another session, and Charlie was aware of the dark marks under her eyes and her messy bun. Even Michael could realize there was something unusual.

“It is nothing, Michael,” she replied. “I am just a bit tired.”

The truth was, Charlie had been cried for the last four days, since she found out about Mike’s betrayal. After waking them up with frenetic punches and slaps, she had been ignoring Mike’s phone calls, SMSs, emails and attempts to catch her after work. She had also changed her door locker to avoid unwanted surprises. There was nothing to say to him, or to hear from him. Charlie just wanted to forget about the four years she had spent investing in their relationship.

“Tired?” Michael’s voice interrupted Charlie’s digressions. “Then, you need some sleep, don’t you? Why are you here now? Why are you not resting?”

“I must be here now, Michael.”

His face went from utterly worried to genuinely happy. “Oh, Charlotte, you are here only because of me? You are a good friend. But I still think you need rest.”

“I will rest later. But first, how about we finish this?”

She kept showing Michael the short footages, recording his reaction to every video; it was amazing how Michael looked so human. His laugh was so genuine when he was watching “Bugs Bunny” that was impossible not to laugh with him. And when he watched a moving video recording the meeting of a lion and his two saviors, he could have been in tears, if he had any.

“Thank you, Charlotte, for everything,” Michael said, in the end of the session.

“For what, Michael? What have I done?”

“You’ve been showing me so many things, giving me so much to think about. Also, have you heard? I have a room for me now.”

Charlie had heard the news from Dr. Lawrence; they decided to give Michael a room, fully decorated as a regular room instead of keeping him in a box. He had his own bed, a table with a chair, even books and a music player, his own request. It was, in Dr. Lawrence’s words, a way to give him a human, comfortable an intimate environment and study his behavior.

“Yes, I’ve heard. Are you happy?”

“I am, very much so. Thank you, Charlotte.”

Charlie smiled at Michael, turning away to leave already, but he called her again.

“Charlotte. Wait, please.”

“Is there anything wrong, Michael?”

“No, absolutely, Charlotte,” he said, looking down shyly. “I want to give you a little gift.”

“A gift?” She asked, half bewilder, half smiling.

“Yes, well, it is the best I could do. You see, they gave me a book, about origami. Do you know origami? It’s a Japanese –”

“Oh, yes, I know origami, Michael,” Charlie cut him off.

“Yes, well, I tried to make a few, and I think I did a good job. And I made this one for you.”

Michael took off his pocked a little and perfect swan made with pink paper. The folding was done so perfectly that Charlie could see its sharpness. He put it in the palm of his hand, offering it to her.

“Oh, Michael,” she sighed. “You did this for me?”

“Yes. It is a way to say thank you.”

She reached her hand to the swan, and accidentally touched his hand. The slight touch made Michael hold his breath in surprise.

“It’s perfect,” Charlie smiled. “Thank you for the gift, Michael. I love it.”

Michael nodded, looking stunned but with a silly smile. “My pleasure, Charlotte. See you.”

Charlie had barely left the room, still beguiled by the little gift, when Dr. Lawrence approached her, visibly excited.

“Amazing! He is doing so well, it’s unbelievable! Ah, Dr. DeLanne, I think we’ve done it! I think it is time to write a report to the directors of W.I.S.E.R.”

“It is amazing,” she said, slowly. “But… I think we are not done yet.”

“What do you mean? Is there anything wrong with him? Did anything show up in the diagnostics?”

“No, no, all is perfect,” Charlie rushed to say. “But there is one think I’d like to test before reporting it to the directors.”

“You’re the specialist, Dr. DeLanne. What is it?”

Charlie took a deep breath; the request she was about to make had less importance for the research than it had for herself. She had to try.

“I think Michael should be submitted to real interaction, outside.”

Dr. Lawrence frowned, in silence; Charlie took it as an invitation to keep talking.

“We know what are the reactions on a controlled environment, and Michael has shown no signs of contrary results. I think it’s safe to say he is able to be put in such situation.”

“Hmmm,” he looked at her thoughtfully. “What exactly do you suggest? What activities?”

“A normal leisure day. Activities normal to us, a movie, maybe the park or anywhere strange to him? Of course, that would have to be carefully monitored.”

“Monitored by whom?”

Charlie sighed. “By me.”

“You are proposing to take the robot outside and have a fun day with him?”

“For the sake of research and testing, sir.”

“Hm. Oh, well, I can’t say the idea is not good – it is, Dr. DeLanne. My concern is, are you able to deactivate him in case things go out of control?”

“Perfectly. Dr. Gregory has taught me and I was able to perform it before. But I assure you it will not be necessary. I trust the programs I’ve created and installed in Michael,” she looked hopeful at her boss’ face, that still showed some doubt. “Think of how great it would sound on the report for the directors, sir. The complete package indeed.”

That was exactly what Dr. Lawrence needed to hear; he smiled, an ambitious glow in his eyes. “Oh, yes. Yes, yes, you are right, Dr. DeLanne. I will see to it. You can take him tomorrow. I will order the team to make sure he is physically able. I will only ask you to send me reports every hour about it. How long do you plan on spending in this test?”

“About 5-6 hours, if that is alright.”

“Very well. From noon to 6PM, tomorrow, and Michael is all yours. Take good care of him, and record every reaction he has, take notes of everything. I want to send the most impressive report those bastards have ever read!”