Avoided

(A/N: Sorry for the long wait! :( I have been super busy and I just haven't felt like writing recently. I was going to make this chapter longer, but I decided to snip out this bit and give you guys something before my hopeful update next week. I hope you enjoy!)

    You watch the cashier's hands as he swipes the bag of peaches across the scanner with practiced precision, causing it to emit its signature beep. He holds one of them out for the credit card that you are holding. As you give him Tony's card, you feel a twisted pleasure at the fact that Tony's losing money because of you, even if it's a miniscule amount. That asshole deserves it. You also marvel at the fact that this man doesn't immediately recognize you as the thief that used to steal these very fruits. He even chased you once or twice. Well... more like seven times, but who's counting? A month of good meals, showers, and sleeping on an actual mattress must do a lot for a person's appearance.

    You exit the store and call a cab. You hop in as it pulls up in front of you and briefly consider telling the driver to go around the block for a few minutes just to waste even more money, but abandon that idea in favor of getting to your destination quickly. Fifteen minutes later, you step out onto the sidewalk outside of an apartment building. Last week, Steela called you in order to give you her address and tell you that you can come by any time you'd like, as long as it's not during her work hours, so that's exactly what you're doing today. You enter the building and navigate the crisscross of corridors until you arrive at apartment 112 and rap on the door. A few seconds later, Steela opens the door. Her face splits into a blinding smile and the laugh lines around her eyes bunch up when she sees that it's you. She gives you a quick, bone-crushing hug, which you melt into, smiling for what seems like the first time that day. The embrace ends too soon as she motions for you to enter.

    "Come in, dear, come in! It's so good to see you."

    You walk past her and place the peaches on the counter of her kitchenette before turning to survey the room. The apartment is small, with only three rooms, and has very sparse furniture and decorations. Despite this, it's infinitely better than the box that she was living a few years ago. The door opens into Steela's living room, which is occupied by a couch across from the door, a coffee table, and rickety table with two wooden chairs in the corner. On the right side of the room, where you're currently standing, is a kitchenette with a barrier separating it from the living room. To the left of the couch is a door leading to what seems like a small bathroom and on the left wall is the door to Steela's bedroom.

    Steela motions for you to take a seat at the table as she creakily lowers herself into one of the chairs.

    "So, how's the Avengers lifestyle?" she asks as you lower yourself onto the other seat with a tired sigh.

    "It was good for a while, but..." you shrug, "not so much now."

    "What happened?" Steela queries in a no-nonsense tone as she leans forward and places her elbows on the table. Her eyes bore into you and convey the fact that she won't take an "it's nothing" or a "don't worry" as an answer. You lean back in your chair with a huff and run your hand over your face before letting it fall into your lap.

    "Well, I guess I'd better start at the beginning. I first noticed something strange going on the day after I got back from this shopping trip with Nat, who you know as Black Widow."

                                                                                            ------------

    You walk into the kitchen after being woken rudely by Clint as he crashed out of the air duct in the ceiling of your room. You had let out a high-pitched screech and nearly let loose volley of lasers, but were able to restrain yourself before you could riddle him with holes. All he had to say before he ran out of your room like a cat from a litter box was to remark on how Tony should really check the supports on the air ducts.