Chapter 15

„I refuse to board the carriage without my attendant!" Stomping his foot down on the ground, Lu Cang glared at Huy Thien with eyes full of hatred and resistance. He had already tried to object to the garments the regent king had brought for him early in the morning – bright yellow trousers and a tunic in an equally bright red, yet, in the end, he had had to give in and had put them on. He felt like some sort of exotic bird, and he hated every aspect of it.

But he wouldn't back down again, now that Huy Thien had declared that Xiao Sang would have to stay in the mansion, while Lu Cang would relocate to the Cổ Loa citadel, the home of Yuè's royal family.

With an angered expression on his face, Huy Thien layed his hand forcefully around Lu Cang's right arm, squeezing even harder when the younger man tried to wriggle out of his grip. Hissing into Lu Cang's ear, the regent king repeated his demand: „Be a good boy and stop making a fuss about it! If you don't get into this carriage right away, you will be the one to blame for any harm Doc Xa will inflict on your friend!"

Signaling his servant with his eyes, Huy Thien gave a silent order, immediately followed out by Doc Xa. Pulling a knife out of it's sheath, Doc Xa swiftly moved next to Xiao Sang, holding the tip of the knife at the trembling man's cheek. „Where shall I begin? I would suggest to cut out one of his eyes, master." Grinning, Doc Xa moved the tip higher, until it rested just a hairbreadth away from Xiao Sang's eyelid.

Blanching, Lu Cang shouted out in distress. „No, don't...! Leave him alone... I... I will obey..." Hurrying up the prepared steps to enter the carriage, Lu Cang inwardly cursed Huy Thien, Doc Xa and at least ten of their families' previous generations. Of course he had been well aware from the beginning that his resistance would be to no avail, yet, his pride as a man hadn't allowed him to simply follow any of Huy Thien's orders like some meek child.

Instead, he had acted more like a spoiled child without realizing it.

Finally able to depart, Huy Thien joined Lu Cang in the carriage, but not without throwing a menacing look at the younger man in utter dissatisfaction. „If you behave this petulant in front of other people again, be prepared for severe punishment! And don't expect me to kill your little friend. There are far more exciting things Doc Xa is capable of without ending his life."

Disgusted, Lu Cang pressed his lips tightly together. Turning his body away from Huy Thien, he resorted to stare at the window, which was covered by a thick curtain, preventing anyone from peaking inside – or taking a look outside. With a sigh, Huy Thien moved closer to the sulking younger man. „Why do you have to make things difficult? You should be full of joy that you are about to receive what is rightfully yours, shouldn't you? After all, you will be a king! Do you have any idea how many people lust after this position? And you, you act as if it were a punishment, not an honour!"

Looking Huy Thien straight in the eyes, Lu Cang sneered in disgust. „I never aspired to rule a country! Yes, I was a mountain bandit king, and I enjoyed it because thereby, I was able to provide the people I consider family with a good life. But in all my years at Jing's side, not even once did I long for any powerful position. On the contrary, I was glad that I didn't have to interact with those rubbish courtiers apart from attending the same banquets. How do now you expect me to be happy at the prospect of dealing with nobles and other snobbish people on a daily basis?"

A devious smile blossomed on Huy Thien's face. „Then, why don't you start considering the people of Yuè as the new family you have to provide for? Think about it: Without you, a war is set to erupt once the current king dies, with devastating consequences especially for the ordinary people. War-ravaged fields, unstable government... The outcome would once again be a hunger crisis, hitting the already poor men, women and children the hardest. It is in your power to prevent this."