Chapter One

I sat in the meeting room with my Father and the six close members of our family. This was when Father was supposed to introduce me to this person and I still had no idea what was going on. So I decided to ask. “Papà, what’s going on?”

                       My Father sighed. “We’re just waiting for him to arrive.”

                          ‘Him’? This ‘Him’ must be whoever I was supposed to meet. Everyone important had seemed to be sitting around the table. Father, Alonzo, my elder brother Silvio, four other members of the family and me. Now I was getting curious.

                      As if on cue to my inquisitive thoughts, the door to the meeting room opened to reveal two men. One of them wore a dark red dress shirt under a black suit with a black tie. He had light blonde hair and wore glasses over blue-green eyes, and stood slightly behind the second one. He was tall and fairly good-looking.

                       As I directed my attention to the second man, my breath hitched. Although he was shorter than the first guy, he was still tall and just oozed authority. He had light brown hair that was almost the same colour as his brown eyes. His clothes greatly resembled the first man’s suit except that a dull orange dress shirt was instead of a red one. One word described him: godlike.

                       My Father stood up to greet them both and smiled at the shorter man as he shook his hand. “Welcome CieloDecimo.” Father said, addressing him. His gaze went from the young man, to me, then back to him. His reply was a quiet and firm yet friendly “Please, just Tino.”

                       I realised that this man that had walked in was the boss of one of the bosses of another mafia family in this city, and judging by what my Father called him, he was the tenth boss. That’s how we formally address other bosses: Family, generation. For example, my Father is known as Pantera Nono. He’s the ninth Pantera boss.

                       Cielo Decimo and the man that came in with him were now seated and the meeting was ready to commence. The whole issue was something about us becoming allies with the Cielo family.    

                   My Father and Decimo finally stood up and shook hands. Finally. I had completely zoned out for the entire meeting. Why was I even there?

                       Father looked to me. “Liona, Tino’s ready for you. Some men will come and collect your stuff later, but for now, you go with him to the Cielo mansion.”

                       My jaw dropped. “What?” I shrieked. Everything grew silent.

                       “My darling, you’ve been engaged to young Tino here for almost three months.” Father said.

                      “Then why wasn’t I told?”

                       Father gave Silvio a cold glare. “You were supposed to be notified ages ago. I thought that since you didn’t come to me complaining, you were okay with it.” He said to me.

                       My brother laughed nervously as his ears reddened. “It must of slipped my mind.” He said, and then decided to just shut up when Father’s glare grew even colder.

                       “Well,” Decimo said. “What’s done is done. Everyone has agreed to these circumstances–“