Night of the Tempest, Part One

I opened my eyes uncertainly and everything on my line of sight was a bit foggy at first. When it began to clear, I saw a very angry, very upset Cheshire hissing about. Imagine my joy.

"Do you know how close that was? What did I say, I told you it was a bad idea! You nearly--you could've--gods, what would I have done if this turned out like the first?" Chesh's tone was full of anguish and concern.

I didn't get it, but I was grateful for his rescue. "Whatever....I don't care anymore. Just, please, take me somewhere I can relax. I'm exhausted."

Chesh sighed. "Yeah, I know the feeling." His eyes lit up. "Heard of the Hollow Oaks?"

I rolled my eyes. "No comment."

Chesh pulled me along. "It's roughly around here to get there. It's a meadow place where I usually go to rest and heal my wounds. Perfect. It's never invaded my outside forces, and only some of us can travel there. Well, it used to be some of us. Now it's just me." I waited for him to explain, but he didn't, and I sensed to leave it at that for the present.

I glanced at his hand dragging mine. It was so...slender, giving off a cattish feeling, but more or less was kind of cool to look at. I do not have a hand fetish of any sort, but it was the first time I'd really seen Chesh as a magical being. I compared it to my hand. It was considerably smaller and more girlish. A pink haze crept on my cheeks, but it was soon replaced by awe.

"Hold tight!" Chesh grinned and we leaped through a portal. I felt a shudder run down my spine and I coughed. When I blinked my eyes open, there was a gorgeous meadow of lilacs, lilies, and other strange and marvelous flowers.

"It's the Meadow. Guarded by the Hollow Oaks, a sanctuary for me only. You too, now I suppose. Meet you back here. I'm going for a free run, so don't wander off too much. You do seem to bring trouble wherever you go." He stuck out his tongue playfully when I protested, then bounced away into the trees.

I fell onto the bed of soft, vibrant flora and fauna. It had relaxing atmosphere. Soothing, but at the same time tugging at you to play. I laughed. I stood abruptly and spun around. 

The rest of the day was spent dipping into springs, climbing trees to see views of the place, and sniffing at the odd variety of plants. I entertained myself with the ordinary sparrows and little woodland creatures. The place was lively with a rainbow of colors and sights. Undescribable, really. I can't say much more. Soon, I felt tired enough to sleep. This healing effect did not wash away my fatigue, despite the energy it filled me with at first.

Then I noticed a shroud of mist beginning to fog over the brilliant blue sky. Chesh hadn't returned yet. An uneasy feeling settled in me. 

The sky darkened. Rumbles could be heard in the distance. The shadows were leering and I pictured aspects of demonic creatures, watchful presences around me. The birds were not singing much longer. Soon, the ivory wisps of clouds were forced into a smoldering, coal night. That's what it felt like. I shivered and sank to my knees. Where was Chesh now. I clutched my dress. My tearducts were beginning to leak salty drips, but I brushed them off with trembling fingers.

All I saw was instantly darkness. Not the blank space kind like the Mad Hatter. Pure, undisturbed, much more ancient forces pulled me into oblivion. The darkness was almost like tendrils, smoke that suffocated me to no end. I was scared. For the first time, I wasn't terrified, shocked, insane, none of it. I was genuinely scared. It was a mysterious, wrong kind of feeling. The situation with the Mad Hatter, at least my enemies were physical. At least I could see them.

Now, all was veiled from my glassy blue eyes.

I tried to get to my feet unsteadily, but managed only a few staggers before falling back down. I couldn't see, hear, touch, or feel the malicious spread. The experience alone made my senses die under the simple menace.

Two hands clutched me in turn and my own hands that gripped my skirts tightly loosened a bit. Chesh hushed. "I don't understand. That witch even dares to put her plight here?"

I didn't understand a word he said, but the warmth of his embrace was all I needed.

"I'm scared," I whispered. This was no moment, not even a friendly gesture. This was two people, victims to the storm that approached.

"I know." He didn't pause to look at me as he led me under a tree. Neither of us could see in this thundering bleakness,

"Do you know what it is?" I asked.

His gaze bore into me in all seriousness. They were like two black stones full of stars, grim but ready. "The Tempest. Once upon a time, the End. Or, rather, it was nearly the End. And I'm apprehended that this time it will be."

I didn't know what else to say. What else could I say?

"Apprehended, yes, but not a bit uncertain we won't make it through." I smiled at this statement, and huddled together, my back resting on the timeless bark of the tree.

Chesh hugged me closer as we stared hopelessly out, waiting to see what would become of the growing Tempest.

"You're half right, and half sorely wrong."