Last Ordianary Day

MARLEY'S LOUD SNORS CEASED as her eyes fluttered open. She rubbed her eyes and scratched her nose. Her eyes rolled to the side as she examined the clock. One hand on the nine, the other on the three, marking it was 9:15. She shut her eyes again, and cuddled into her pillow. Suddenly, realizing the time, she squealed and jumped out of bed.

"Holy Crap, Clare's gonna kill me!" She ran to the bathroom and shoved a tooth brush into her mouth. Then remembering the second step of the brushing teeth process, she squirted a small bit of toothpaste onto her tongue.

Racing into her room, she pulled on a pair of grey sweats and a black sports bra. After brushing her hair, she pulled it into a high pony tail.

This is Marley. Wavy brown hair, natural green eyes, olive skin, and a beautiful smile. With her tall, petite body, some could guess she was an athlete.

She jumped down the stairs and slid into the kitchen, because of her slippery socks, and opened the fridge. Marley grabbed the plastic container of hard boiled eggs and ham and chucked it into the microwave. Having spare time, she forced on some nike sneakers, clicked on the television (which could be seen from the kitchen) and became interested in the news, just as the microwave went off.

She walked to the microwave and tried to open it without looking, her eyes being locked into the bright screen. 

"Justin Bieber retires, being to old to sing. But why? Who doesn't want an eighty year old singing?" A lady joked, her pink hair pulled into a bun, then looking behind the camera to ask, "He's eighty, right?"

Marley left the microwave and unplugged her iPhone 73, she didn't notice she didn't have her food, and continued to watch the news.

"And, a hovertrain crashed into RMI, the Robotic and Mechanical Institution of the US! So much going on in America right now! Not to mention the one hundredth eighteen anniversary from when NASAs very first mission was launched!"

Marley laughed, as it should a video of apes training for a mission to Mars. Sure, the already had malls, homes, and everything on Mars, but they needed an extra hand...our paw. Wait. Monkeys don't have paws. Whatever. Then it'd be easy as banana pudding.

Her phone rang and she threw it to ear.

"O MY FREAKING G GET YOUR FRICKING BUTT OVER HERE NOW, WHAT THE HECK! A BIRD JUST CRAPPED ON ME! I'LL JUST COME TO YOU, SHOOT, BE THERE IN F-ANOTHER BIRD! WHAT THE FRICK UGH MAKE THAT TEN!" Her friend ended to call, not giving Marley anytime to answer.

She was stunned, maybe because Clare didn't actually use 'FREAKING'....or....'BUTT' or....'HECK' or....'SHOOT'....or 'WTF'. Maybe she was on her period.

But...bird?

She quickly ran outside and gaped. Birds were flying everywhere, and not mechanical ones. The population of birds had gone down dangerously low, but just look! They blocked the view of the city.

"What's with Earth right now..."

She locked the door with the touch of her fingerprint and sprinted across the neighborhood to reach her friend.

Many others neighbors were outside looking at the sky with fear and wonder.

"Marley, Dear! Tell your mother to come outside! Now!" Mrs. Pattingson yelled, pointing back at the house, and Marley nodded.

She ran fast. Charging towards the door, that she would have hit if her finger hadn't touched the ID pad.

"Mom! Wake up, now!" Her siblings groggily came down the stairs, rubbings their eyes.

"What the heck, Mar." Luke, her twin brother mumbled, looking down at May, her seven year old sister.

"Birds! All over...they're, filling the sky and...um-it's kind of hard to explain so...er...May go get Mom! Luke, come here." She laced her fingers with her brother and brought him to the back door.

Her brother pushed a button and the door became clear like a window.

"Birds."

"Mommy! There's tweet tweets outside! Come, come!" She heard May cheer, who ran out, soon being followed by her mother.

"Mom I need to get to Clare, I-" Marley started, grinning to herself when she grabbed the umbrella.

"No! Stay inside. Tell Clare the same. We should wait for them to die down, then have her come or you go there."

Marley pursed her lip, but nodded, knowing she had to wait it out.

But she didn't know it would last for a while.

Marley blinked slowly down at the book she was reading. She was sprawled across her bed, her chin resting on a pillow and her hands hands in front of her holding a book.

The news played softly, and a man explained that the reason all the birds were swarming San Diego was because of a high sequence alarm going off. They didn't know what it was, but it was loud enough to call birds all over the globe, meaning the machine used for it needed to be huge. And, going deeper into the disaster, they found no trace of any sign of how this could have happened or who had done it.

Marley ignored the television as best as possible, becoming more tired by the second.

"Dinner, Sweety!" She heard her mother call, and was depressed to be pulled from the novel, but happy there was a reason to stay awake.

The birds covered the sun, making it appears darker than it was.

The four ate in silence. The chirping and howling of the birds could be heard from outside.

"How's the food." Marley's mother casually asked, as the May continued to play with the grilled chicken.

"Just grand." Marley replied, before standing up and placing your dish into the sink.

"Finished?" Her mom asked, and Marley shrugged.

"Not hungry."

"Well, ok then, honey." Her mom pursed her lips and continued to eat.

Marley stepped up the stairs, tired of doing nothing the entire day.

As she entered room, she stopped dead in her tracks.

A silhouette of a person, or something was outside her window. She flicked on the lights, and called for her family.

Soon her mom and siblings were upstairs, and starring at the place Marley was pointing at.

Marley had her eyes somewhere else though, her softball bat that hung over her bed.

Her mother followed her gaze and then nodded, showing to her daughter to go for it.

Marley slowly made her way to her bed, and grabbed the bat off the hook.

She then jumped back to her mother, wincing at the noise she made.

Then, the lights went off, and the shattering of glass occurred.

"Get down stairs," Marley cried, but the door slammed.

The shadowy figure was now standing on her bed, the cranking of metal being heard.

Then, the sent of strong gas filled the room.

"Get out of here," She croaked, but noticed her family had already passed out on the floor.

She gasped, then turned toward the figure, whom was creeping towards her.

"W-what do you want?" She hissed, clutched the bat harder and moved back.

The last thing she saw were bright green eyes and a sack before she joined her family on the floor.