~Chapter 83: Better Man~

Comincia dall'inizio

There was, however, one thing she was willing to leave her rooms to do.

"Delia, may I ask another favor?"

"Of course, Milady."

"Will you scout the dungeons for me?"

"And what would be the purpose of this scouting mission?" Delia asked carefully.

"I need to know whether Niall is in the dungeons or not."

"If he is?"

"Then I might ask you to create a diversion in another portion of the castle to distract him."

"And if he's not in the dungeons?"

"Then I will go see Zayn." Kalysta was resolute.

"What will that accomplish?" Delia sighed.

"I want to talk with him and see how badly he's injured," Kalysta answered. "Also, I'd like to see how well he's being guarded to analyze a possibility of freeing him."

"Milady," Delia said uneasily, "I don't think that's a good idea. Even if the Prince isn't there, his guards will be. What will you do about them?"

"I have my ways."

"Don't do this. What will the Prince do if the Ambassador escapes? You said he's watching you closely, waiting for you to make a mistake."

"What would you have me do?" Kalysta cried. "If I don't do something, Zayn dies in three days! Three days! Should I just let him die? Should I just give up?"

"I don't know," Delia breathed. "But don't be hasty."

"Will you scout for me or not?"

"Yes." Delia stood, setting aside the embroidered pillow she'd been repairing. "I'll do it."

--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Delia returned quickly. "The guard stopped me before I could see the Ambassador, but as far as I could tell Niall isn't there."

"Thank you, Delia," Kalysta sighed, taking her hand. "Now will you come with me when I go? I don't want to walk down there alone."

"Of course."

Kalysta moved out into the corridor and walked slowly and deliberately despite the urge she felt to get there as quickly as possible. Moving quickly was suspicious. Though she didn't necessarily care if people knew her destination, she didn't want to bring attention to it either.

Upon reaching the dungeons, she was stopped by a Mullingan guard. He drew his sword and held it across her path.

"Excuse me, Your Highness, but I have strict orders to keep everyone out of this section of the dungeon, under Prince Niall's orders."

"Oh, you have specific orders from my fiancée to stop me from moving about my own bloody castle?" she hissed. She was not in the mood to deal with this idiocy.

"Well, no, but he said no one was allowed to see this prisoner." The guard looked incredibly uncomfortable.

"That's just too bad, isn't it?" Kalysta mocked. "A Princess being told what to do by a lowly guardsman? That is just too much."

"Of course not, Your Highness." The guard was blustering now, clearly unsure how to behave around a royal woman who stood up for herself.

"Lower your sword and let me pass," she ordered.

"I'm afraid I can't do that."

"Listen, cad, your Prince isn't the only one who can fake a trial and find witnesses to lie for him. This is my. sodding. country and I will have you burned at the stake and hanged, simultaneously, if you do not get out of my way. Right now." She stared at him until he lowered his eyes.