It Was An Accident

"I didn't mean to hit him!" I explained to Denise quickly, for the horror-stricken expression on her face was making me nervous. "The walkers... they... they killed my family! And Rick... he chopped off my mom's hand! He didn't even help them! I was just... They were torn apart right in front of my eyes. Honest though, I was lowering the gun when Michonne hit me. I didn't mean to pull the trigger. It was an accident."

That's pretty much how I explained it to everyone. I didn't want it to sound like I wanted to hurt Carl because I didn't. I hated that I hurt him. But it seemed like no one believed me.

*time skip*

The sun shone brightly onto my face, waking me up. I blinked hard before stretching and tossing my blanket off me.

I went to the bathroom which was attached to my room. I took a piss before washing my hands and looking into the mirror. I looked like absolute shit.

I'd been crying before I fell asleep the night before, so the skin around my eyes were crusty. My forehead shone with oil, and my hair stuck up in every direction. I splashed some water on my face and through my hair before walking out into the hall. I heard clattering from the kitchen downstairs, so Carol must have made breakfast. She came over every few mornings to check on me. I was still living in my old house, but now I was alone. I don't know why, but Carol seemed to think she needed to see how I was doing even though we'd never spoken much before my whole family died.

I made my way downstairs and into the kitchen, taking a seat at the table.

"Good morning." She smiled as she set a plate of eggs in front of me.

"Morning," I murmured, scooping the eggs into my mouth quickly. "I was going to Denise and Tara's today, so I'll see you later."

I was out the door before she was able to get a word in. I'd lied to her. I wasn't really going to Denise and Tara's; I was going to the woods. I knew Enid liked to go there, so I wanted to try it myself. I needed to escape for awhile.

The ground was damp, and it smelled like moss all around. I hadn't been outside of Alexandria in ages. It felt nice to get away.

I stopped suddenly when I heard shouting nearby. I couldn't make out what they were saying, but I recognized who they were. Carl and Enid. I panicked as someone's footsteps came closer, so I leapt behind a tree to hide.

"Ron?"

I sighed, peaking out from behind the tree to Enid. She glared at me with a scowl on her face.

"What?" I asked, glaring back.

She shook her head. "You messed him up."

"Who? Carl?"

"Yes! Who else would I be talking about? You shot him in the face and didn't even apologize!"

"Yes, I have!" I shouted back, infuriated at how she could accuse me when I already felt guilty. "He won't listen!"

"You better get him to listen. Deanna's chasing him right now."

I furrowed me eyebrows. "Deanna? I thought she died..."

"She did!"

My mouth fell open without letting a word out. Enid stared at me until I bolted, running in the direction she'd come from.

"Carl!" I called, leaping over a log and dodging through the trees. "Carl!"

Suddenly, two hands wrapped around my shoulders, flinging me backwards. I let out a cry as my back hit the ground with a loud thud.