"Oh nothing too horrible. First, you will be injected with a certain amount of chemical substances that will distort your genealogy. Most of your organs will be forcibly switched off so the poison can take its full effect. That is what sets of the wolf gene."

A ball of saliva slides down my damp throat. "Then, you'll be tested. I like to call it the five sense figuring. There'll be a series of examinations you'll be put through to test your senses and to confirm that the chemicals have been accepted by your system. If you pass.."

His beady eyes focus on my teary ones and he smiles once again. Horror grips my chest and I let out a strangled, anxious breath.

"Then every single bone in your body will be shattered to pieces. You will become nothing more than a ghost in a shell, a soulless sack of barely functioning organs. And this is where the real test comes. If you did pass the first two examinations and you are a wolf, you will shift. Thus regaining your bone structure and your former physical body. Then you'll be a beautiful, beautiful wolf."

Without warning, he opens the door and shoves me inside. I descend ungracefully, my injured leg grazing the jagged earth of the gravel floor. "Now, it's showtime. Don't disappoint me!"

On that note he shuts the door, and leaves me in hell.

The fear sits quietly, eroding the person I was born to be. What starts as a contortion of my stomach becomes a feeling of being smothered by an invisible hand. My breathing becomes erratic, deep, then shallow. I fight it. I fight the feeling as my body writhes to be free or shut down entirely. Each time this happens, part of me weakens.

All is quiet. All is still. The utter lack of anything doesn't soothe me one bit; in fact it serves to heighten my already prominent anxiety. My breath comes out in short, sharp wheezes and I use of shaking hand to caress my throbbing leg. I want to cry. I want to scream, I want to shout, I want to run but I do nothing but sit as I am filled with the bitter realization that there is no way out of this.

In the murky puddle that caressed the ugly ground, I glanced at my reflection. I has a look in my eye I've seen before, but not on myself, or on a person for that matter. It's the look I've seen in the horse's' eyes when they come in for schooling at the ranch, wild, not even knowing what people are. It doesn't belong on my face and it frightens me to death.

Before I can take another breath, I feel something clamp down on my leg. It is sharp and jagged and I let out a blood-curling scream as the metal nails sink into my skin. The unfortunately frequent flow of drugs slid up my legs and began to make my thighs tingle. What..?

Another syringe pierces me--this time on my naked arm. I let out a short squeal as the sting of the needles flows through me. My vision grows hazy as more chemicals clog up my system. My muscles grew rigid in an instant, my breath shallow and sweat beginning to form on my quivering top lip. Tears slowly run down my dirtied face.

My organs began to fail. Bile began to leak out of my slack mouth as I felt a sting in my liver area. My heartbeat began to slow down as my breathing became heavier and more difficult. The blood that pumped so quickly through my form began to slow down as I slumped to the graveled earth, feeling like half a human being.

A third syringe graces my body. Then a fourth. Then a fifth. I stop counting when the feeling of pricks and pain began to merge into one searing entity and my consciousness began to slip from my fingers.

My eyes closed in searing pain.

After what seemed like four hours later, I arose. My entire body was sore; like I had spent a grueling day working away at the gym, with only the thoughts of fitness clouding my brain. The floor was dewy and soft under me, and I looked down to meet the pillowy embrace of morning grass.