Chapter 4| She wasn't Supposed to get Hurt

Newt's POV:

Did I feel guilty? Of course I feel bloody guilty. Because Ben got stung we have to banish him to the bloody shucking maze. I didn't want Lily to see this. I know she's not that young to not understand but she's still young to me. Although she doesn't act like it, she's young.

The day she beat Gally I knew she wasn't just a typical twelve year old. Know I was sitting there getting our staffs ready. Thomas was with Chuck. Minho was tying Bens hands and getting him out of the slammer while everyone else was silent.

Everyone circled the doors when we were ready. Ben was mumbling a rant of "Please! Please! Please!" I forced myself to look at him in the eyes. They were clouded with frustration, fear, and desperation. He was pushed on the ground, in front of him lay the doors.

"No, no, no! Please, please, please!" He turned to Minho, "Minho please! Don't do this!" He turned to me, "Newt! Please, don't let him do this!" Minho cut the ropes from his arms and through a pack of food and other supplies in the maze.

"Raise them up!" I ordered as everyone raised their staffs, "know, push!" Ben pushed against the staffs.

"No, no, no!" We just kept on walking forward with our staffs. The door started to close. He was know in the doorway, screaming on the top of his lungs.  The doors started to close on him so he was forced inside.

"No!" Was the last thing he said before the doors shut, leaving an echo. I bloody hate it! I turned around to see Tommy staring in horror. I decided to nickname him for fun. He is my friend, right?

"Alright, clear out," I ordered solemnly.

The rest of the day went by fast as the gladers worked in silence.  Lily was sleeping the whole time. Tomorrow, Minho and Alby will follow Bens tracks to see where he went or if he made it. Everyone knows that he won't make it. No one has ever survived a night in the maze.  The box with the bloody weekly supplies should be coming up.

I decided to go check on Lily. When I walked in the medjacks she was mumbling and twisting and turning.

"Newt! Newt! I never got to say goodbye to you." She barely whispered the last part.  I wanted to know why she was saying my name. So, I woke her up. After a minute of saying her name and bloody shaking her she finally woke up.

"Are you ok?" I asked her.

"Yeah," she said as she rubbed her eyes, "where's Thomas?"

"Tommy's working with Chuck, well he's doing his job and Chuck is helping him," I corrected myself.  The sun set already, I wonder where the box is. But the the supply alarm went off.

"Hey isn't the box supposed to come in the afternoon?" Tommy asked me.

"Yeah," I mumbled.  As I opened it, thank god there was no greenie like Tommy.  Instead there was a tube of healing ointment and a piece of paper attached to it, with some box's and crates surrounding it. I jumped in and grabbed it.

"It's a note," I said as I looked up at all of the gladers.  I read it, She wasn't supposed to get hurt.  I climbed up out of the box with the tube of ointment and the note.

Lily's POV:

Lily's POV:

I couldn't stand just laying here so I went in the woods. The damp soil cooled my feet. The leaves blocked the sun so I wasn't sweating. I just kept on walking until the solid wall could be seen.  There laying in the corner was a single purple flower. 

I ran my fingers over the petals.  It was a beautiful flower, but I couldn't just rip it out of the ground so I left it there and admired it. I heard Newt, Thomas, Gally, and other gladers calling my name.  Gally seemed to be heard closer to me.

"Lily! What are you doing.  We were looking all over for you," I spun around to see Gally standing their.  I pointed to the flower, scared that he will yell at me if I said anything, "what did you find?" He asked in a calm voice.

"I found a flower.  Isn't it pretty?" I knelt down beside it.  Gally knelt down beside it too.

"Beautiful," he said and smiled at me. That's the first time I saw him smile.  I heard rushed footsteps behind me and the frown returned to Gally's face.

"Oh my shuck, we thought you ran away.  Well we didn't know how or where," Minho said as he leaned on his knees and caught his breath. Newt came up behind and following him was Thomas.

"Got the ointment," Newt swirled the little tube in his hand. After they sat me back down in that stupid bed they took off my bandages. The medjack was right, Ben did cut me deep. The blood wasn't seeping anymore. Instead there was inflamed red swollen tissue where my skin used to be. The medjack threw the bandages away and picked up the tube. Newt sucked in a breath of air through clenched teeth making a hissing sound. Minho walked away and out the door. Thomas just stared at it, his face with no color.

"Putting on the ointment know," the medjack mumbled. He took a gauze pad and squirted the clear jell on it. He slowly got closer and closer to my wound, I looked away, then I felt him gently dab it on. It didn't hurt, it tingled. Then I heard a series of gasps. I looked at my wound and it slowly got smaller and smaller, until it disappeared. I moved my arm around. It wasn't there anymore.

"Well that just happened," I mumbled.

"There was a note that came out of the bloody box," Newt announced, "and it said that you weren't supposed to get hurt. Maybe they put something in the ointment to heal right away." That made sense.

"Well anyway I think it's time for bed," Alby peeked his head in the doorway. Everyone cleared out. I am not sleeping here tonight. I waited until the glade was covered in silence. Then I went to go find Thomas. I felt safer when I was with him. I found him softly snoring in a pillow. I curled up next to him, he naturally put his arm around my shoulder. I turned around and buried my face in his side and closed my eyes.