How Do You Tell A Two Year Old Something She Won't Understand?

Chapter Three... How Do You Tell A Two Year Old Something She Won't Understand?

It was over an hour before I finally emerged from the bathroom.

Marcus had stood patiently on the other side, pleading with me to let him in. Tom had told him what happened after he'd been awoken by my screaming. And ever since they had both stood outside the bathroom door, asking me to come out.

But I just wanted to be alone.

However, I wanted to see Addison. She was an orphan, a child without parents. And the most devastating part was that she didn't know yet. Mom had kept an eye on her because the rest of us were upstairs, but Tom had said she didn't know.

I wondered how. How do you tell a two year old that her parents are dead, and she has no home to go to? How do you tell her something she really won't even understand?

As these thoughts ran through my mind, I stood and opened the door.

"Honey," Marcus breathed, wrapping his arms around me. I cuddled into him, unable to form words or anything. The comfort was nice, much better than my need to be alone. I didn't want to be alone.

"Addison doesn't know yet," Tom spoke up, looking stressed. "Your mother and I... uh... we have to go do something. And we have to contact the lawyer."

"A lawyer?" I managed to say softly. "Why?"

"Well, for Addy," Tom said, frowning. "I don't know if Jodie and Luke ever made a will, and we need to know how to keep Addison with the family if they didn't write a will."

"But they're young," Marcus frowned. "Would they have made a will?"

"They talked of it," Tom sighed. "When Addison was born. It's common that parents will make a will in case of their untimely deaths when their children are born."

"A will," I breathed. "It's all too... surreal."

"You're in shock still, Phoebe," Marcus kissed the top of my head lightly. "It's gonna take a while... for all of us."

I walked past them and down the stairs. It was amazing how things could change so fast like that. In the blink of an eye, your loved ones are gone. Why? Why must life be this cruel?

Entering the kitchen I saw my mother there with a drink that wasn't appropriate for seven in the morning. She downed it slowly, glaring out the window into the gleaming sun. Despite the fine looking morning, a dark cloud hung over our household today. It didn't feel like a sunny day, no. The morning had the ice chill of a winter's morning, combined with the misery of a rainy day.

Mom didn't look up as I walked past her and into the living room. Addison sat there alone still, playing with her toys. She hadn't gotten bored yet, and the events had yet to take their hold on her. She looked so innocently blissful, so peaceful and happy. Unbeknown to her, life would never be the same again. And I hated that.

For Addison was way too young for something like this to happen to her.

I walked over and sat on the lounge. Addison finally noticed my presence, standing up and walking over to join me. Once she sat on the lounge, her tiny eyes studied my expression. The smile that lit up her face disappeared, and she now looked saddened.

"What's wrong, Aunt Pheeb?" Addison asked, putting her small hand against my cheek. It was warm.

"I have to tell you something, Addy," I said, fighting back tears.

"Is mommy coming?" she questioned, sitting on my lap. "I don't wanna go home."

"Uh..." I managed to say before I couldn't form words. Marcus walked in to join us then, sitting next to me.