Childhood Friend

Kate's POV

I was walking home when I bumped into someone. He was tall, and he has copper brown hair. He looked familiar.

"I'm sorry, miss." His voice sounds so familiar. And then it hit me, it's Jason. My childhood friend.

"Jason?" He looked up and looked at me with wide eyes.

"Kate? Is that you?" I giggled and nodded.

"Oh my gosh! It's been years! How are you?"

"I'm fine, Jason. It's been years. I'm surprised to see you here. Are you working here?"

"Yes, I work at the hardware store just around the corner. You?"

"I work at Collins Designs."

"The big clothing company?!???"

"Yep that's it."

"Wow! Kate I'm impressed."

"Thanks! Hey you've changed. Your hair."

"Yeah I know. Well you changed a lot. You're blooming! Are you seeing someone?"

"Uh..no. I just broke up with my ex before graduation."

"Oh I'm sorry."

"Nah it's okay."

"I have to go. Here, call me. Oh by the way, happy birthday!" He handed me a card. OMG. He remembered my birthday. I blushed.

"Thanks."

I never thought I would see Jason again. We were so young then.

Flashback

"Jelly!!!!!" I shouted while he ran towards me. We hugged each other tightly before playing.

We used to play in the garden and we would secretly pluck cute flowers from each bush.

"Lollipop, this is for you." Jason plucked a small purple flower and gave it to me.

"Thanks Jelly!!!" I giggled.

"Anything to make my friend happy." Jason said.

The first time I met him was in grade one. He was this shy and quiet kid in class. After a few days, I decided to talk to him. Since then, we became friends.

We would hang out together during lunch break and we would go home together.

But when things were about to get better, everything changed. I already had a crush with him when I was eleven. He also said he liked me so we became closer. I would tell him my secrets and all that stuff.

"Kate, I'm leaving. I'm moving to Portland tomorrow." Twelve year old Jason said.

"Why? Don't you like me anymore? Do you want to leave me?" I sniffed.

"Kate, it's not like that. My dad was promoted and he needs to move. Including us."

I just stood there sobbing.

"Hey. Don't worry. I have something for you." He pulled out a small box. I took it and opened it.

I gasped. It was our first picture together. Mom took a picture of us when we were playing.

"Thanks, Jason. I'm gonna miss you."

"Me too, Kate." And then he kissed my cheek.

"Jason! We're leaving!" His mom shouted.

"Bye, Kate. Until next time. I hope to see you soon." He said.

"Bye Jason." We gave each other a tight hug before pulling away. I was really sad he's going away.

My mind was back to normal when my phone vibrated. It was an unknown number.

"Kate Jones."

"Kate! It's me." It's Jason.

"Oh hi! Why did you call?"

"I want to see you on Friday. It's your birthday right? I'm thinking of taking you out. You know, talk about the time we were away."

"Yeah sure!"

"I'll pick you up around 9am?"

"Ok."

He hung up.

I miss those times when we were together. The time we played hide and seek in the garden. And the time we chased each other just to smudge paint on our faces.

And the time he left me. It actually hurt me. The only friend that I have left me. But I moved on eventually. I was still young at that time. And now, I saw him again.

Few hours after...

Marc's POV

I decided to call Kate and ask her to go with me on her birthday. After several rings, she answered.

"Kate Jones."

"Kate, it's me."

"Oh...hi." She sounded like she was expecting someone else. Hmm I wonder who.

"Are you available on Friday? I have something to discuss with you."

"I thought I had a day off."

"I know, I'm sorry. I just need to discuss something with you."

"I can't, I'm meeting Jason...." Who the fuck is Jason? Fucker. Don't tell me he's her boyfriend.

"Who?"

"He's just a friend from the past. I bumped into him a while ago. He asked me to spend the day with him for the lost time we had."

"Oh ok. Can you just meet me for a while? And then you can meet that friend of yours" I put emphasis on the word 'friend'.

She hesitates but agrees eventually. She told me to meet me before 9am.

After the call ended, I kept cursing. I have to think of a way to steal her. Lightbulb!