Chapter 2- Corner

Chapter 2
Corner
Dani POV

Apparently talking to yourself helps you fall asleep. And in my case of insomnia, I slept all night and morning until my alarm went off at 7:30 am.

I change into a cleaner pair of clothes, and yes they are clean because I washed them at the laundromat with the tiny bit of money I have. There's a little market on the street corner a few blocks down from my place. A sweet little old man named Jeremiah runs it, and he noticed I was there everyday so he offered me a small job to help him out a little bit and pay me for it. I usually stop by after school, but I didn't get to yesterday. He understands that I have a crap life so far and doesn't push the details so he'll let me try to catch up on sleep.

I grab my skateboard (also from rich family's dump..wasn't the color he wanted) and skate down to Jeremiah's shop for some breakfast and hot chocolate. If you learn anything about me, I am NOT a coffee drinker. Unless you count a chocolate frappe.

"Hey Jeremiah, how are you today?" I inquire riding through the front door.

"Ah, Miss Daniella! I am good today! How are you? You did not come see me yesterday," he says with jolly only older people have. Kinda like Santa. Minus the round belly and beard.

"Yeah, sorry, Jer. I was tired. Pre-Cal sucks. Plus I had to get back to granny," I joke as I make my hot chocolate. I started calling the basement granny because it is easier to say I'm going to granny's house rather than I'm going to the basement that I live in. I'm not sure if Jeremiah knows it's an actual basement or not. I think he thinks it's a joke within itself.

"Daniella, you know it's alright. But can you come in this afternoon? I feel a busy time coming," he asks winking.
Jeremiah says he gets these "gut feelings" of when his store will be busy. It usually ends up being 5 more people than normal and he tells me one of his tall tales throughout the rest of the day.

"Sure, Jer. I might be a little late though. Mrs. Mitchell was in a mood yesterday and I forsee a lecture on student behavior coming."

"That's okay, Angel. Come in when you can." I told Jer once or twice about remembering bits a pieces of what happened before my hospitalization, and he always says that I must be some kind of angel or prophet sent to help him. He's crazy of course like any old man, but I let him believe what he wants.

"Well, Jer, I gotta go before Mr. Schwartz gets his undies in a wad. See ya this afternoon!" I call out to him as I leave his shop.

I round the corner that goes in the direction of my school and nearly knock somebody over.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! I was just headed to school and this corner and..." My words trailed off as I started to pay attention to who exactly I had smacked into. Piercing green eyes. Jet black hair...

A smile pulls at his lips as if he were expecting me. Then he snaps out of his half-second daze and emphasizes, "Oh sorry, miss! It was my fault! Im terribly sorry. I should've watched myself," he babbles looking down avoiding my gaze.

"It's fine, but this is kind of crazy, um, do I know you from somewhere?" I ask courageously.

"Hmm I don't think so," he says studying my face, "I think I would remember a face like yours. It's awfully beautiful." He plays it off so well, but I just know that I know him some how.

I blush. "Oh, um, thank you," I glance down in embarrassment and his ring catches my eye, "I, uh, like your ring. It's a very vibrant red."

"Thanks. Well, I must be going or my father will kill me."

"Oh yeah me too. School's starting. Wait where do you go to school?" I ponder. He looks my age. A year older than me.

"Home schooled," he answers frankly.

"I'm forgot that some people do that," I laugh to myself, "will I see you around again?" So I can discover who you really are.

"Probably not, Angel."

My eyes widen when he says that word. He does know me, doesn't he? He's probably friends with Jer. I look up to ask the guy, and he's gone.

Where did he go? I think to myself.

I'm protecting you. I hear my conscious say. Or was it my conscious? It sounded like a male voice. Was it his voice?

I keep walking towards my school, and make it inside as the bell rings.

I'm feeling guilty for making you guys wait so long for chapter 1, so here is chapter 2 as well. Please leave comments! I love to hear feedback from you guys!