Chapter 33 - Enlighten Me

Corrine

I followed Roy through a few dimly lit corridors, his hand still in mine. I should pull it away, and not let him touch me. But I trust him, and I have no idea why.

"Don't be afraid, okay? I'm going to introduce you to some people. The people that made this all possible." Roy explains. I only nod.

He opens the door at the end of the hall and let's me go on first. Inside, there are people seated around computers, and giant screens, clicking away at the keys in a constant hum.

"Wh..what is all of this?" I ask. An uneasy feeling in my gut.

"This is the control center. We monitor everything from here." Roy says.

"Monitor? What are you monitoring?" Fear rushing through me.

"You. Well, not just you, but the whole city, all the factions. The factions are an experiment. It's all been planned from the beginning." Roy smiles and my heart stops.

Experiments? All those people. All those moments that we thought were ours were never really ours at all. It was all planned. To see how we reacted to certain scenarios and situations.

"I need to leave." I say with jaw tightened.

"I know you're afraid. And really overwhelmed, but will you just listen to them? To my father?" He steps towards me but I step back.

"Your father is the one running this place? It was his idea to do these experiments?" I ask.

"He's running it now. But these experiments have been going on for a very long time." He explains.

"You're all sick. I want nothing to do with this." I start to walk away but he grabs me and spins me around to face him.

"Hear them out, Corrine. I've been watching you for a long time. I grew up watching you actually, and I've always known there was something special about you." He says quietly and comfortingly.

"Watching me? Is that supposed to make me feel better, Roy?"

"No. I guess I'm just trying to tell you that you were never as alone as you thought you were. As strange as it sounds, I do feel like I know you a little." He rubs the back of his neck as he talks.

"That does sound really strange." I tease him, giving him a small smile. He laughs before he puts his hand out for me to take again and this time I take it without question and follow him.

"Corrine, this is my father, David." Roy says as we approach a man sitting behind a desk.

"Corrine Minor, we are all so glad you've finally found your way here. We knew you would." He smiles and shakes my hand.

"You knew? Did you...did you program me?" I ask.

"Of course not, dear. But so far, you're the only one to truly be Divergent. And we would like to do some tests to find out just how much of a Divergent you are." He clasps his hands together.

"Tests? No. That's not happening." I start to back away from them.

"Corrine, it's nothing like that. The tests are simple. I wouldn't let anything happen to you." Roy says quietly for only me to hear.

"I'm not okay with this." I say.

"What would make you okay with it?" He asks.

I have think. I take my time and wonder what exactly it is they need me for. What does being Divergent have to do with anything? I'm too curious not consider doing this. But I don't want to become some science experiment.

"I want Eric. I want him with me." I say, straightening where I stand.

"I'm sorry Corrine, but they won't be possible." David says.

"What do you mean? Where is he?" I'm panicking again.

"We have no use for them. They are being disposed of." David says.

"Father.." Roy says, his voice genuinely concerned.

"There's no need to sugar coat it for her Roy, she isn't going to be seeing them anymore."

"Tell me what you've done with them. Where is Eric and my brother?" I start to feel more panicked as I realize they've taken Finn too.

"No need to worry yourself, they're being dealt with. Come, let's get you into the testing chamber." David says, his guards coming towards me.

I back away. When they close in on me, kick out my leg and hit one of them in the shin making them stumble. I make a dash for the door, not making it far before the other guard wraps his arm around my neck and pulls me back. I kick my legs and throw my elbows around trying to get away.

"Get off of me!" It barely comes out, my air supply becoming scarce.

The loud sound of a gun going off extremely close to my ear is the next sound I hear. When I'm able to focus again, I feel the guard behind me fall limp, slumping to the ground. I look up and see Roy holding a gun in his hand, his hand shaking a bit with what he's just done.

"Run." He says, grabbing my hand and pulling me out of the door.

"What are you doing? Why are you helping me?" I ask as we keep running.

"This wasn't the plan. This was never supposed to happen." He says.

"That seems to be a common theme among people trying to kill me!" I shout at him.

"We have to get your friends, and you have to get the hell out of here."

"Do you know where they are? Please tell me you know." I beg.

"I know. Don't stop moving." We keep running, bullets beginning to shower down on us as we round a corner. Roy turns and fires a few bullets behind us, never letting go of my hand.

All I want is to find Eric. And to never leave him again. My stupid, stubborn, ignorant attitude has driven us apart again. How long will it take me to learn that I can't live without him? That I need him.

I just need to find him.

A/N: this is really short and I'm sorry. I'll try to update again soon. Thank you all for reading and voting. It means the world.